Phone Interview

Arash

Dec 11, 2019
Hi everybody
I can see as part of the application process, some firms such as NRF have implemented a phone interview as part of the assessment, does anybody have any experience with such interviews with any commercial firms?

Thanks
Arash

Eamon

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019
There are two types of phone interviews I've experienced.

1. Literally just a standard interview. Just prepare as you would a standard interview, and keep some notes out in front of you. However, grad recruitment are aware of this so they try and ask questions which you wouldn't have prepared for. Also make sure you don't recite what you have in front of you.

2. Situational strengths. Basically a situational judgment test. There's no real way you can prepare for this; though practicing some situational judgment tests may give you an idea on how to reply.

Often they combine both the above.

In my experience, I tend to find phone interviews significantly easier than video interviews (though not sure what the general consensus is).

At the end of the day there's nothing quite like experience. So if it doesn't go well, don't worry about it, just apply what you learnt for the next one. What I would say that is as soon as you finish the interview you make a note of all the questions asked, especially the one you struggled with.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Vany, Daniel Boden and Jaysen

Arash

Dec 11, 2019
Hi, I have a NRF phone interview coming up, can anyone give any insight into what kind of questions they ask.
Hi Ashleigh
The questions were quite simple but could get tricky depending on your experience, I don't remember the exact order however I'll try to be specific :
1. Why Law and why NRF?
2. why do you think you will be a food commercial lawyer?
3.A recent global matter that had an effect on the world economy
4. Are you a leader or a follower, provide example
5. how do you handle pressure? example
hope it helps, good luck and keep us posted

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.