Podcast Recommendations

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi everyone,

A friend of mine recently recommended a podcast to me called 'Wake Up To Money' on BBC Radio Five Live which is available every weekday. It is recorded really really early in the morning and covers all the big commercial news stories, whilst only being about 40 mins long. I have been listening everyday for a couple of weeks now and it is really easy to follow and incredibly useful. I figured that it would be a great idea to hear if you guys have any podcast recommendations that might help with commercial awareness as well! If you have any to share I would be so grateful to hear of them in a post below :)

Thanks everyone and I hope you are all having a lovely week so far!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone,

A friend of mine recently recommended a podcast to me called 'Wake Up To Money' on BBC Radio Five Live which is available every weekday. It is recorded really really early in the morning and covers all the big commercial news stories, whilst only being about 40 mins long. I have been listening everyday for a couple of weeks now and it is really easy to follow and incredibly useful. I figured that it would be a great idea to hear if you guys have any podcast recommendations that might help with commercial awareness as well! If you have any to share I would be so grateful to hear of them in a post below :)

I listen to podcasts quite obsessively! In terms of the ones that could be of use, I routinely come back to:
    • The Economist's Editor's Picks/The Economist's The Intelligence
    • FT News Briefing (a nice daily summary of the top FT stories)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I listen to podcasts quite obsessively! In terms of the ones that could be of use, I routinely come back to:
    • The Economist's Editor's Picks/The Economist's The Intelligence
    • FT News Briefing (a nice daily summary of the top FT stories)

I shall be sure to subscribe to them, thank you @Jaysen!

ELA

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 20, 2019
    I listen to the 'Commercial Awareness' podcast on Spotify. The episodes are very short (5 to 10 mins) and essentially relay headlines and address the relevance to the business world/commercial law. I like how short it is because I don't always have time to listen to something that is longer than that.

I also listen to Freshfields's podcasts.

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I listen to the 'Commercial Awareness' podcast on Spotify. The episodes are very short (5 to 10 mins) and essentially relay headlines and address the relevance to the business world/commercial law. I like how short it is because I don't always have time to listen to something that is longer than that.

I also listen to Freshfields's podcasts.
    Brilliant suggestions- thank you! I will check those out today! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: ELA

mserwaah1

Star Member
    Jun 9, 2019
    Hi everyone,

I just downloaded this, along with Moral Maze which is supposedly meant to be good as well. I am yet to try out both! But they have both been continuously recommended to me :)

Reactions: Alice G

Mohanjith

Jul 28, 2018
    Might want to check out Bloomberg podcasts. While they do occasionally discuss particular news stories, most are focused on macro-economic events. This might help to understand the "bigger picture" and how a specific commercial event(s) fits in.

Reactions: George Maxwell

KLaw125

Junior Lawyer
    Aug 21, 2018
    Hi everyone,

Couldn't agree more! I have been using podcasts routinely since last year on the commute to work and have been amazing for my commercial awareness and general interest too. My personal favourites have been FT Banking Weekly and The Bottom Line (Mainly because it explains how a specific industry/commercial theme operates in practice e.g. aviation, corporate executives, commodities etc.). I've found almost anything done by the FT or The Economist typically provides really detailed insight on commercial stories.

Below is a useful list of various podcasts I've dipped into, including some law firm podcasts that focus on how lawyers advise on recent issues. Herbert Smith Freehills have made an extensive podcast series about the practical implications of Brexit on clients, that I found very helpful!!

Business/Financial Podcasts:
    • BBC 5 Wake up to Money
    • Business Matters
    • Bloomberg Daybreak
    • The Economist Week ahead
    • Deal of the Week by Bloomberg News
    • Benchmark by Bloomberg News
    • McKinsey on Finance Podcasts by McKinsey
    • The Twenty Minute VC: Venture Capital by Harry Stebbings
    • The Bottom Line by BBC Radio 4
    • Exchanges at Goldman Sachs by Goldman Sachs
    Legal Podcasts:
    • The Real Deal Podcast by CMS Law
    • The Allen & Overy Podcast -by A&O
    • The Law Firm Leadership Podcast by Chris Batz & The Lion Group
    • Law Technology Now by Legal Talk Network
    • Currents by Norton Rose Fulbright
    • Dealcast: M&A, ECM and Activism News by Dealreporter Europe
    • Herbert Smith Freehills Podcasts by HSF
    • Law in Action by BBC Radio 4
    • Legal Currents by Thomas Reuters Legal
    • The Freshfields Podcast by Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
    • The Lawyers Weekly Show by Lawyers Weekly

LawfulRed

• Nov 17, 2020
    To add a few more to this:
    • Watson's Daily podcast by Peter Watson
    • This is Money podcast
    Listening to podcasts is a great way to keep up commercial awareness.

Reading Watson's Daily was/is also invaluable for me. I have actually kept up my subscription because I found it so useful!
    I second this, Watson Daily is VERY good. It gives a good insight into very topical subjects in an easily digestible way. For those looking for more detail/complexity, I would also recommend a podcast called Business Breakdowns.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.