Post Grad !

Varun S

Aug 28, 2018
Hey Jaysen, Il be joining LSE for the first time in this coming September for my Masters.

Any advice on how should one sell his Masters in the interview because I believe you also undertook your Masters in Corporate Law (which I also intend to)

If I can ask, how exactly did you sell your experience of post-grad?

P.S - Any tips that you wish somebody had given you before you started your Masters?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey Jaysen, Il be joining LSE first time in this coming September for my Masters.

Any advice on how should one sell his Masters in the interview because I believe you also undertook your Masters in Corporate Law (which I also intend to)

If I can ask, how exactly did you sell your experience of post-grad?

P.S - Any tips that you wish somebody had given you before you started your Masters?

My master's place was only confirmed a day before the exit interview of my final vacation scheme, so I didn't have many opportunities to sell it. That was generally a good thing, to be honest, because in my experience, most law firms questioned my reasons for wanting to do a master's.

You should be prepared to justify why you chose to do a master's degree at this stage, instead of applying directly to law firms after university. It's difficult for me to give generic advice on what to say here because a good answer to this question is one that is personal. They don't have to be too sophisticated though; my starting point was simply that I enjoyed my law degree, and I wanted an opportunity to study particular aspects of my degree further.

If it would help, feel free to share your reasons, and I can offer some feedback.

I wish someone told me how hard it was going to be to select the four modules that made up my degree. In the end, I think I'm still happy with the modules I chose, although it would have helped if I had more time to research what was on offer. I also wish I had more information about the quality of teaching, difficulty, and class sizes for each module. That would have helped me to choose and prepare for each module -- so perhaps, see if you can find anyone who has done the master's at LSE.

One thing I'd note: I had the luxury of having my training contract secured before I began my master's, which meant my year was relatively relaxed. Not everyone did, however, and I know some of them struggled trying to balance the two. With that in mind, I would suggest trying to get as much work/revision done outside of the busy application months.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.