Postgraduate Study Post-TC Qualification

DeltaGamma64

Oct 10, 2020
Hi all!

Not sure if I have posted in the correct section but I was looking for some advice or opinions on my decision to pursue further study after I qualify my training contract.

I am currently a second-seat trainee at an international firm at the City. However, I have always had the thought of pursuing higher education (postgraduate studies) some time in my life. As I am currently busy in my training contract, the only feasible time to pursue further education would be after I qualify (as opposed to working as a NQ for a few years and then taking a break for study).

However, I am unsure how this would be viewed by a) my current firm and b) future employers. This decision may seem arbitrary but it has been something I have always wanted to pursue as I have been fond of researching my areas of interest in further detail.

I would therefore appreciate it if anyone could provide their views or perhaps personal accounts if you know or have found yourself in this situation?

Many thanks in advance!

DeltaGamma64

Oct 10, 2020
Would it be a LLM or a non law subject?
Hi Jessica

Apologies for the very belated response!

I am thinking of pursuing an LLM to focus on the more academic angle of my interest in Public International Law (an area I have always been interested in).

I am just unsure whether such a career break would work against me since I presume once qualifying, the natural step would be to pursue NQ opportunities.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I would generally advise not doing a LLM at the point of qualification, unless you felt very strongly that it would help you get into your chosen practice area and that you are sure you won't qualify into it.

Generally most people pursue an LLM 2-5 years after qualifying so they can settle into the career. Sometimes they also benefit from their firm paying for it, or by accumlating study leave for it. I would start digging at your current firm to see if you can find any lawyers who have done this and get their advice as to when might be a good time.

DeltaGamma64

Oct 10, 2020
I would generally advise not doing a LLM at the point of qualification, unless you felt very strongly that it would help you get into your chosen practice area and that you are sure you won't qualify into it.

Generally most people pursue an LLM 2-5 years after qualifying so they can settle into the career. Sometimes they also benefit from their firm paying for it, or by accumlating study leave for it. I would start digging at your current firm to see if you can find any lawyers who have done this and get their advice as to when might be a good time.

This is very very helpful advice!

Thank you so much

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.