Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
ok thanks for your honesty
The issue is really where it sounds like they are your worst grades. If you were missing something that was equal to the other grades, then it’s a bit like “it doesn’t matter”.

But if you put down your other AS grades to show strong grades, but some how missed your weakest grade off, that is where the concern comes in that you have purposely done this. Also depends on whether this information was compulsory on the application and the wording that was used to say what you had to provide.

Fortunately it is one GCSE and one AS level, so to me it is less likely to be a cause for concern.

If it gets flagged, just be ready to explain it.

Reactions: Deleted member 8341
D

Deleted member 8341

Thanks very much - I know how ridiculous it sounds and I understand why someone would find it misleading. One was a U in add maths which i just convinced myself didn't count/wasn't real when i was 16 because i had an A* in maths and then haven't thought of 7 years later - with the AS it was weird because i dropped it after as so when i was adding in my as levels i was just thinking of my A-Levels (i applied deadline day for my offers) - really hoping it isn't an issue but if it is then i suppose its entirely fair, i should have done better.

In general will they go to my school to find out my results or just ask me for certificates

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks very much - I know how ridiculous it sounds and I understand why someone would find it misleading. One was a U in add maths which i just convinced myself didn't count/wasn't real when i was 16 because i had an A* in maths and then haven't thought of 7 years later - with the AS it was weird because i dropped it after as so when i was adding in my as levels i was just thinking of my A-Levels (i applied deadline day for my offers) - really hoping it isn't an issue but if it is then i suppose its entirely fair, i should have done better.

In general will they go to my school to find out my results or just ask me for certificates
If the firm asked if you ever failed an exam/qualification, this will need to have been declared.

Reactions: Deleted member 8341

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Now that I’m looking for my gcse transcripts, I can’t seem to find them! I just had all of my grades from school to university typed out in a google drive document to make it easy to write in applications. Anyone know where I would go to recover my GCSEs? Is it the school or the exam boards?

Moon

Star Member
Nov 6, 2019
Hey @Jessica Booker

1. I saw in one of my work experience that I accidentally miscalculated the start month. Do you think that would eliminate me? Plus one of my work experience section is work experience, I don't have any contact and it was in 2018, it was labelled paralegal because that's exactly what I was really doing.

2. In the application form, the GCSE section, I re-took my English GCSE, Input it in the same box as my past GCSE grades as there was no space to put it in the A-Level section, I did label it that I took it in another year compared to my other GCSE results. Do you think a possible vac scheme could be terminated from this?

3. I just went back to check my GCSE transcript, saw that some of my poorest grades were left out from the application, I literally just zoned it out of my head and I am really concerned about it. The firms I applied to don't have a minimum GCSE req. Most only have a A-level eqv req.

4, I did an EPQ graded B. I completely forgot to include it in my A-Level section (My A level eqv are A*AB). Do you think this is an area of concern.

5. Since my application I have acquired a lot of new experiences, and the experience put on the form is now old. I have been invited to an AC with one of those firms. What are your two-cents on this?

Really appreciate if you could offer your insight, I am a bit worried.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey @Jessica Booker

1. I saw in one of my work experience that I accidentally miscalculated the start month. Do you think that would eliminate me? Plus one of my work experience section is work experience, I don't have any contact and it was in 2018, it was labelled paralegal because that's exactly what I was really doing.

2. In the application form, the GCSE section, I re-took my English GCSE, Input it in the same box as my past GCSE grades as there was no space to put it in the A-Level section, I did label it that I took it in another year compared to my other GCSE results. Do you think a possible vac scheme could be terminated from this?

3. I just went back to check my GCSE transcript, saw that some of my poorest grades were left out from the application, I literally just zoned it out of my head and I am really concerned about it. The firms I applied to don't have a minimum GCSE req. Most only have a A-level eqv req.

4, I did an EPQ graded B. I completely forgot to include it in my A-Level section (My A level eqv are A*AB). Do you think this is an area of concern.

5. Since my application I have acquired a lot of new experiences, and the experience put on the form is now old. I have been invited to an AC with one of those firms. What are your two-cents on this?

Really appreciate if you could offer your insight, I am a bit worried.

1) I am unclear with what you mean here
2) Was it listed as an A-level when it really was a GCSE or was it just the the A-level section?
3) How many are missing and what grades are they?
4) EPQ isn't usually important where it isn't a full A-level. Depends what the firm asked you to provide in this section
5) I am unclear on what you mean here too unfortunately.

Moon

Star Member
Nov 6, 2019
1) I am unclear with what you mean here
2) Was it listed as an A-level when it really was a GCSE or was it just the the A-level section?
3) How many are missing and what grades are they?
4) EPQ isn't usually important where it isn't a full A-level. Depends what the firm asked you to provide in this section
5) I am unclear on what you mean here too unfortunately.
Sorry for the lack of clarity.

1. I accidentally put the wrong start month in the work experience section of the application form. Will they terminate my potential Vac Scheme/TC (if offered). Also for one of my entries, I put 'paralegal' instead of work experience, but the work I was doing was really paralegal work, this was in 2018- I don't have any contact in the firm or any evidence I did work experience as it was really off-hand stuff, the firm changed a lot and don't even remember me doing work experience. Is this something I should be worried about?

2. I listed it in the GCSE section (where they ask for your High School). I re-took my GCSE in college, but they don't have a GCSE section in the A-Level box so I posted it in the GCSE section with the correct year.

3. Just checked, missed 1 - Geography (Grade G).

5. I was fortunate enough to have 3 AC invites. The online application form (at the time of submission) was up to date. Since, I have gained a lot more experience (like paralegaling at Allen & Overy). Do you think this is something I should be worried about, when I am doing my pre-employment checks?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sorry for the lack of clarity.

1. I accidentally put the wrong start month in the work experience section of the application form. Will they terminate my potential Vac Scheme/TC (if offered). Also for one of my entries, I put 'paralegal' instead of work experience, but the work I was doing was really paralegal work, this was in 2018- I don't have any contact in the firm or any evidence I did work experience as it was really off-hand stuff, the firm changed a lot and don't even remember me doing work experience. Is this something I should be worried about?

2. I listed it in the GCSE section (where they ask for your High School). I re-took my GCSE in college, but they don't have a GCSE section in the A-Level box so I posted it in the GCSE section with the correct year.

3. Just checked, missed 1 - Geography (Grade G).

5. I was fortunate enough to have 3 AC invites. The online application form (at the time of submission) was up to date. Since, I have gained a lot more experience (like paralegaling at Allen & Overy). Do you think this is something I should be worried about, when I am doing my pre-employment checks?

1) The wrong month is not great. It really depends on how long you were working there for. The "paralegal" role won't be an issue from a reference check perspective, you will just have to provide other evidence that you were there (pay cheques/emails confirming your placement etc).

2) Not an issue then

3) Not great that is is missed where it is a failed grade

5) This is not an issue at all - lots of people apply and then gain further experience between applying and securing an interview. This is pretty standard. Why would you be worried about it?

Basically sounds like 2 "minor" issues - a failed GCSE (just depends if they asked you if you have ever failed an exam/qualification and didn't disclose it there) and a wrong date on a work experience entry.

I can't say for definite that they won't retract but it seems unlikely based on those two things alone.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This is why checking every single part of your application is VITAL.

The easiest way to not get yourself in these messes is to ensure the information you are providing is accurate.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
In total it was for like 3-4 days. But it like one day I did it one month, and the other day I did it next month. Very low work days.
If you listed a paralegal job for 3-4 months on your application and you only did 3-4 days work experience, then this could be a problem.

• ℹ️
Reactions: MakingMyWayDowntown

happygoluckyyy

• Nov 6, 2020
    I think they will probably question how something like that can be “forgotten” and I’ll be frank, I expect them to think that you have purposely avoided including that information to avoid putting poor grades down, but unless there is a question elsewhere in terms of your performance or integrity, I think it is unlikely a firm will retract an offer on that basis.

Not impossible though TBH.
    Hi Jessica, I recently applied to a firm w AAB requirements. I put down my 3 alevel grades and progressed to the final stage. However I have taken 4 A-levels and didn't include the 4th one (that was a C)
    Will I be penalized for this if i have included my top 3 alevels only?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.