Prepping for work experience

azbwcy

Jan 6, 2019
Hiya everyone! I was hoping ppl could give me some advice re prepping for work experience - I have a week of WE at a pretty cool law firm in a week sitting in the dispute resolution team, but I've never had any legal experience before, so am a little panicked and wondering how I can best prepare. I really like this firm and they don't have a vac scheme so the week is assessed for the TC, which is worrying me even more as I really want to impress!

Thanks in advance xx (ps this forum is an absolute lifesaver & really positive space - thank u so much!!)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hiya everyone! I was hoping ppl could give me some advice re prepping for work experience - I have a week of WE at a pretty cool law firm in a week sitting in the dispute resolution team, but I've never had any legal experience before, so am a little panicked and wondering how I can best prepare. I really like this firm and they don't have a vac scheme so the week is assessed for the TC, which is worrying me even more as I really want to impress!

Thanks in advance xx (ps this forum is an absolute lifesaver & really positive space - thank u so much!!)

I used to create a fact file on firms before my vacation schemes. I'd make sure I knew as much as I could about their practice area strengths/international strategy/training programme (I'd now add use of technology to that list). I'd also create three lists of questions, one directed at trainees, one for associates/partners and one for graduate recruitment. Once I received our timetable for the week, I'd also update that list based on any talks we had e.g., a talk from a particular practice area.

You may also want to try get a basic idea of what dispute resolution lawyers do:
    https://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/SolicitorPracticeAreas/Dispute-resolution
    https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/practice-areas/litigation-and-dispute-resolution

It's something you wouldn't be expected to know already, but it can help provide you with the background context going in (so you can pick up things quite quickly). You can also use the firm's website to investigate who the important people are in your departments and familiarise yourself with the kind of work the firm has done in DR beforehand.

I also used to try mentally prepare myself before schemes. I know this is work experience, but the fact that you'll be assessed for a TC can often make it equally stressful. I don't have any specific recommendations for that as I think it's quite personal, but just remember, the fact that you were chosen for work experience means they already believe you have great potential.

In terms of impressing: be proactive and interested in the people/their work, be authentic (candidates sometimes shoot themselves in the foot a little by being OTT), treat every piece of work as if it's really important, even if it's just proofreading (although be mindful of any deadlines).

Good luck!

azbwcy

Jan 6, 2019
    I used to create a fact file on firms before my vacation schemes. I'd make sure I knew as much as I could about their practice area strengths/international strategy/training programme (I'd now add use of technology to that list). I'd also create three lists of questions, one directed at trainees, one for associates/partners and one for graduate recruitment. Once I received our timetable for the week, I'd also update that list based on any talks we had e.g., a talk from a particular practice area.

You may also want to try get a basic idea of what dispute resolution lawyers do:
    https://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/SolicitorPracticeAreas/Dispute-resolution
    https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/practice-areas/litigation-and-dispute-resolution

It's something you wouldn't be expected to know already, but it can help provide you with the background context going in (so you can pick up things quite quickly). You can also use the firm's website to investigate who the important people are in your departments and familiarise yourself with the kind of work the firm has done in DR beforehand.

I also used to try mentally prepare myself before schemes. I know this is work experience, but the fact that you'll be assessed for a TC can often make it equally stressful. I don't have any specific recommendations for that as I think it's quite personal, but just remember, the fact that you were chosen for work experience means they already believe you have great potential.

In terms of impressing: be proactive and interested in the people/their work, be authentic (candidates sometimes shoot themselves in the foot a little by being OTT), treat every piece of work as if it's really important, even if it's just proofreading (although be mindful of any deadlines).

Good luck!

You're the best Jaysen, thank yoU!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.