Productivity tips - how do you balance applications and revision?

Jaxkw

Star Member
Early Bird
Mar 15, 2018
I wake up at 7am. Without a doubt that has made the biggest difference to my productivity - I get two extra hours in before I'd normally have started any work..

TO wake up early I recommend getting the Sleep Cycle app on your phone. It sets off your alarm when you are in the lightest possible part of your sleep pattern which makes waking up so much easier.

Also - watch this:

bronson

Distinguished Member
Nov 23, 2018
I wake up at 7am. Without a doubt that has made the biggest difference to my productivity - I get two extra hours in before I'd normally have started any work..

TO wake up early I recommend getting the Sleep Cycle app on your phone. It sets off your alarm when you are in the lightest possible part of your sleep pattern which makes waking up so much easier.

Also - watch this:

I agree with the waking up early part. I even went through a period where I was getting up at 6 to go to the gym which did help wake me up and kept me feeling (mostly) energised throughout the day. I must say though this HAS to also be coupled with going to sleep at a decent time otherwise the whole thing is counterproductive.

I find setting alarms on my phone for very basic small things like eating, reading, sleeping etc. means you can just zone out into whatever task you're doing and not worry about the time. This also means you're very regimented and stick to a good routine if you do it consistently.

EDIT: also an ice cold pint of water (with cucumber and lemon if you’re feeling particularly extra) first thing in the morning will make you feel 100x better throughout the day than a coffee

Last edited:
Reactions: FreddyS and Salma

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
I keep a diary to jot down deadlines and tasks. Breaking bigger tasks down into small, achievable daily goals was definitely key to increasing my productivity. That reduced the unnecessary stress of worrying about how much work I had to do over the span of, say, a month - I got peace of mind knowing I had planned out how to achieve certain goals and could tackle them on a day-by-day basis.

Reactions: Eva, Salma and J Wu

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Naomi

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 14, 2018
    I'll have to try these tips! I have to wake up at 5:30am for work so can't really wake up any earlier and work takes up my day until about 6pm. By the time I've had dinner etc, there isn't much of the evening left. Really struggling and demotivated about the app situation at the moment sadly!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Abstruser

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    I'll have to try these tips! I have to wake up at 5:30am for work so can't really wake up any earlier and work takes up my day until about 6pm. By the time I've had dinner etc, there isn't much of the evening left. Really struggling and demotivated about the app situation at the moment sadly!

I completely empathise, it’s a tough thing to juggle work and applications but you’ve got this! :)

What I used to do when I was working was to use weekday evenings for application research and planning - just reading through brochures, websites, and compiling notes in a Word document. I would then spend more time on weekends to actually write the applications. I managed 1 application every 1-2 weeks that way.

All the best!

Jaxkw

Star Member
    Early Bird
    Mar 15, 2018
    I agree with the waking up early part. I even went through a period where I was getting up at 6 to go to the gym which did help wake me up and kept me feeling (mostly) energised throughout the day. I must say though this HAS to also be coupled with going to sleep at a decent time otherwise the whole thing is counterproductive.

I find setting alarms on my phone for very basic small things like eating, reading, sleeping etc. means you can just zone out into whatever task you're doing and not worry about the time. This also means you're very regimented and stick to a good routine if you do it consistently.

EDIT: also an ice cold pint of water (with cucumber and lemon if you’re feeling particularly extra) first thing in the morning will make you feel 100x better throughout the day than a coffee

I've been trying your setting up alarms idea and I wanted to say thank you! It really does help me to snap out of what I'm doing and get back to focusing.

Reactions: bronson

Jaxkw

Star Member
    Early Bird
    Mar 15, 2018
    I completely empathise, it’s a tough thing to juggle work and applications but you’ve got this! :)

What I used to do when I was working was to use weekday evenings for application research and planning - just reading through brochures, websites, and compiling notes in a Word document. I would then spend more time on weekends to actually write the applications. I managed 1 application every 1-2 weeks that way.

All the best!

I've also started this for writing applications. I work through the day but I have a lot of breaks, so I've started making notes on things i find and collating them for the weekend. It has made a big difference so thank you!

Reactions: Abstruser

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.