A book to help you with applications/assessment centres - and some tips

Mel Atraghji

Feb 16, 2024
Hi all

This is to mention my new book on legal writing and contract drafting skills. It's aimed at trainee solicitors, but it should also help anyone writing CVs/application forms and doing written exercises at assessment centres.

(I was a solicitor at a magic circle firm for 26 years and I now teach writing/drafting at several firms.)

You can buy the hard copy book here and there's a Kindle version here (free if you have Kindle Unlimited).

And here are a few tips:
1. Have a proper structure: put the most important stuff first, put related issues together and use informative sub-headings that allow your reader to skim-read.
2. Have short paragraphs and use numbered lists/bullet points. They're much easier to read than long slabs.
3. Avoid grammar or spelling mistakes. In particular, avoid the 'comma splice', it makes senior lawyers' heads explode. (That was an example of a comma splice.)
4. Write in short sentences with fewer than 25 words.
5. Write in plain English. That's how practising lawyers write to each other. Don't try to sound fancy: no-one is impressed. Avoid this kind of thing: 'I endeavoured to orchestrate the strategic direction of Freshers' Committee such that it complied with our stringent budgetary constraints'. Better: 'I ensured that the Freshers' Committee came within budget.'

Here's my website - https://www.staveleyandatraghji.co.uk/
Feel free to link in with me - https://www.linkedin.com/in/melatraghji

• 🏆
Reactions: wannabesheridansmith

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.