8 tips to make your applications stand out!

Erin

Legendary Member
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Operations
Jul 13, 2022
Hi everyone, Erin here! šŸ˜Š

How is your week going so far?

I know that many of you have already begun drafting your first applications for the 2023/24 cycle. This is your first shot at showing the firm why they should pick you to progress to the next stage. I know this can be a daunting thought, however it's also exciting - it's your chance to shine! ā­ļø

I wanted to jump into the forum today to share some advice on how to make your applications stand out - I hope you find these useful. Feel free to share any of your own tips in this thread, we'd all love to hear them! šŸ¤©

Without further ado, here are 8 tips to make your application stand out:
  1. Cut out all generic phrases or sentences. Make sure every sentence is there for a reason. Ask yourself, does this sentence add value to my application? If it doesn't, remove it.

2. Keep your language simple. Donā€™t use a big word where a simple word will do. Unnecessary jargon and complicated language only shows you canā€™t communicate your points clearly.

3. Avoid unnecessary capitalisation. Only the firm's name, job titles/companies, and the beginning of new sentences need to be capitalised. If you're unsure, check! It's always best to check before submitting - attention to detail is a key skill of being a lawyer after all!

4. Choose commercial topics that genuinely interest you. The recruiter will be able to tell if you have just chosen the topic because it's easy to write about. Choose one that you're genuinely interested in, and your enthusiasm will shine through in your writing.

5. Cut out flattery. When answering "Why this firm", donā€™t just tell a firm theyā€™re great, explain why theyā€™re great, and why this matters to you personally.

6. Try to use some evidence to back up your reasons for wanting to become a commercial lawyer. Avoid the "I've wanted to be a lawyer ever since I was born" cliche, and focus on your actual reasons behind wanting to enter the profession. Your personal story is what makes you stand out.

7. If you abbreviate, be consistent with your references. Itā€™s usually fine to abbreviate a firm's name, but ensure that you keep the same abbreviation throughout. For example, if you're going to abbreviate 'Herbert Smith Freehills' to 'HSF' make sure to stick to the 'HSF' format throughout to maintain consistency.

8. Donā€™t assume a recruiter will know how impressive your experiences are. Itā€™s your job to sell your experiences by being very specific about what you did and what you achieved. Include the names of these activities (and dates if you can), and highlight your key learnings from each one.

--

Researching law firms ahead of writing your applications? I have something to make your life easier...​

As part of our TCLA Premium subscription, you will gain access to our 'Law Firm Profiles' course.

ā­ļøThis includes 45+ law firm profiles, from Addleshaw Goddard all the way through to Weil, Gotshal & Manges.

Each profile is compiled of an overview of the firm's financials, strategy, and key practice areas, as well as an in depth look at the firm's history and how they distinguish themselves from competition.

This course also contains advice on:

ā­ļø Maximising your network.

ā­ļø Finding the right firm for you.

ā­ļø Knowing what to look out for when researching firms.

Want a sneak preview? You can check out our profile on Kirkland & Ellis here, completely free.

šŸ“¢ For full access to this course, sign up to TCLA Premium Gold today via the this link for 15% off your first month.​

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.