Questions relating to my degree

Esporia

• Sep 9, 2021
    Exams this year were much more relaxed as they were online, and we were even explicitly told not to cover certain lectures as they wouldn't be in exams. Because of this I'm worried my interviewer may ask be a rather particular question relating to one of my modules, for example, asking me about a certain tort. Is this common in training contract/vacation scheme interviews? I'm debating spending the next month going over old lectures and refreshing myself.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Exams this year were much more relaxed as they were online, and we were even explicitly told not to cover certain lectures as they wouldn't be in exams. Because of this I'm worried my interviewer may ask be a rather particular question relating to one of my modules, for example, asking me about a certain tort. Is this common in training contract/vacation scheme interviews? I'm debating spending the next month going over old lectures and refreshing myself.
    I think it's a good idea to refresh your knowledge but I wouldn't fret about the specifics of any particular module. It's unlikely that you're going to have a developed, prepared answer for everything that comes up in an interview so the best approach is to try to think of one on the spot and if you're unable to come up with one, to honestly inform your interviewers that you don't know the answer and, if possible, work with them, to arrive at one.

As for what you could do over the next month, I think your time would be better spent on honing your commercial awareness, diving into firm research and developing your motivations for a career in commercial law and for working at the firm you're applying to. Questions and tasks related to these aspects are more likely to come up in interviews.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Highly unlikely to be asked about a specific tort point in an interview in my opinion.

1) Interviewers might not actually have that knowledge
    2) They tend not to get fixated on the academic aspects of law - their work is much more practical.
    3) They tend to want to find out much more interesting things!

Even if they did veer into the academic subject territory, questions tend to be quite open asking much more about what you enjoyed learning about X module/what was the module you didn't like/were weakest at, rather than the academic topic itself.

Reactions: Esporia and AvniD

Esporia

• Sep 9, 2021
    I think it's a good idea to refresh your knowledge but I wouldn't fret about the specifics of any particular module. It's unlikely that you're going to have a developed, prepared answer for everything that comes up in an interview so the best approach is to try to think of one on the spot and if you're unable to come up with one, to honestly inform your interviewers that you don't know the answer and, if possible, work with them, to arrive at one.

As for what you could do over the next month, I think your time would be better spent on honing your commercial awareness, diving into firm research and developing your motivations for a career in commercial law and for working at the firm you're applying to. Questions and tasks related to these aspects are more likely to come up in interviews.
    Highly unlikely to be asked about a specific tort point in an interview in my opinion.

1) Interviewers might not actually have that knowledge
    2) They tend not to get fixated on the academic aspects of law - their work is much more practical.
    3) They tend to want to find out much more interesting things!

Even if they did veer into the academic subject territory, questions tend to be quite open asking much more about what you enjoyed learning about X module/what was the module you didn't like/were weakest at, rather than the academic topic itself.
    Thanks, these answers really put me at ease!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.