Quitting LPC a month in for family issues - will firm come after me for tuition fees?

matpart

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
A family member has recently become very sick and there is no possibility I can continue on in London without being there for them. They live in Dublin and I cannot go back and forth to see them and do the LPC.

I have not spent a dime of the maintenance provided and will return that in full. However, will the law firm (one of the MCs, if that helps for details) make me pay for the month (3 weeks, to be exact) I spent on the course? Another worry I have is that they are refusing any treatment or insight into their medical reports (without giving too much details, they are also struggling mentally and really difficult to work when it comes to this stuff) so I have no possibility of providing any evidence into the condition. Will this work against me?

Thank you for any advice.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
A family member has recently become very sick and there is no possibility I can continue on in London without being there for them. They live in Dublin and I cannot go back and forth to see them and do the LPC.

I have not spent a dime of the maintenance provided and will return that in full. However, will the law firm (one of the MCs, if that helps for details) make me pay for the month (3 weeks, to be exact) I spent on the course? Another worry I have is that they are refusing any treatment or insight into their medical reports (without giving too much details, they are also struggling mentally and really difficult to work when it comes to this stuff) so I have no possibility of providing any evidence into the condition. Will this work against me?

Thank you for any advice.
Unfortunately it isn’t a month’s worth of tuition as such, the firm has to pay for the course in full even if you don’t complete it. Courses aren’t paid on a week by week basis as ultimately the course cannot be back filled with someone else and effectively the university loses money because of that.

There maybe other options though such as deferring your LPC (and your TC start date). Is that a possibility or do you think you will return home permanently?

Many firms will also consider extenuating circumstances, but I suspect you may need some form of evidence for this, even if it is just some form of personal reference where someone who knows you vouches that this is happening (eg non direct family member - but friend of the family etc). This will especially be the case if you are reneging on the offer rather than wanting to defer.

Reactions: Will Jones

matpart

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
Unfortunately it isn’t a month’s worth of tuition as such, the firm has to pay for the course in full even if you don’t complete it. Courses aren’t paid on a week by week basis as ultimately the course cannot be back filled with someone else and effectively the university loses money because of that.

There maybe other options though such as deferring your LPC (and your TC start date). Is that a possibility or do you think you will return home permanently?

Many firms will also consider extenuating circumstances, but I suspect you may need some form of evidence for this, even if it is just some form of personal reference where someone who knows you vouches that this is happening (eg non direct family member - but friend of the family etc). This will especially be the case if you are reneging on the offer rather than wanting to defer.
Thank you for your helpful response.

I am afraid I have to return permanently.

If I need to produce some sort of evidence I guess second-hand reports from family friends are my best bet. I have heard of others who were far deeper into the course who didn't have to repay, but perhaps these are just rumours, or they had very concrete evidence?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for your helpful response.

I am afraid I have to return permanently.

If I need to produce some sort of evidence I guess second-hand reports from family friends are my best bet. I have heard of others who were far deeper into the course who didn't have to repay, but perhaps these are just rumours, or they had very concrete evidence?
It is possible that some firms will not make you repay the amount - it really depends on the individual firm’s policy and also the circumstances behind the decision. I have gone through processes or reclaiming about £350 a month for 7 years (in one example) and for another firm wrote off the amount entirely.

You should speak to your contact at the firm as possible about this though. If ultimately the decision is made not to proceed with your TC, the earlier you tell them the better it will be received/considered.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

I am in a similar position to OP, but I am due to start in 3 weeks. Would I be in the same situation or have a slightly easier time since I am yet to start?
I don’t think it is much different in all honesty as the firm is likely to have paid for the course and you have been onboarded on to it.

You need to speak to the firm ASAP though to put yourself in the best possible situation.

Will Jones

Jun 5, 2020

This is really excellent advice. I had mitigating circumstances and was able to defer my TC as a result - made a big difference.

Best of luck to the OP and others in this situation and hope you manage to work it out.

[NOT legal advice but seems very unlikely the law firm will sue you to pay back the LPC amount... so you could always consider not paying anything back and taking the gamble...]

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
You can do BBP's LPC online so perhaps you could continue but do it 100% online from Dublin and then see when you finish the course where you stand as regards the relative - may be different care can be set up for them by the time the online LPC ends.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.