Referees question as a career changer

Flutterbyx303

Star Member
Sep 11, 2023
Hi

I am a 27 year old looking to change careers into law. I have started applying for some vac schemes and the first one I began yesterday asked for two referees, one academic and one professional.

The issue on the academic side is I didn’t go to a traditional uni rather I have obtained a degree equivalent (level 6 diploma) through part time study over a number of years. This was several years ago now, and the classes were virtual plus the teacher had so many students she for sure wouldn’t remember me. Then I did have a tutor but again this was so long ago and we had very little contact. The only person I could list who would probably remember me is my old head of sixth form. But I wasn’t a particularly stand out student, he focused on the Oxbridge and law/medicine applicants.

Then on professional referees I am currently at a firm and have been there for five years. I really really don’t want them to know I am looking to move industries so would rather not give anyone there as a referee (for a move to a similar job I probably wouldn’t mind giving them as a referee but I don’t want people to know at this point I want to go into law, particularly as it is so competitive I am not even get a job offer any time soon). I could always list a manager who used to work at my company but moved a few years ago but again I wouldn’t want word to get around I’m looking to change careers. So the only other option is my former boss at my last company and I think she would give a good reference but wanted to hear your thoughts in case you think I am being too sensitive re asking someone closer to where I work now.

Advice is welcome particularly if I will need to supply referees for future applications.

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
You will still need to provide an academic referee who can verify your results - most universities don’t know their students to be fair, and in more cases than not it’s just the admin office confirming the grades you have received rather than a character reference.

Flutterbyx303

Star Member
Sep 11, 2023
You will still need to provide an academic referee who can verify your results - most universities don’t know their students to be fair, and in more cases than not it’s just the admin office confirming the grades you have received rather than a character reference.
Oh ok that’s fine then! I thought it was to talk about your character etc

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
Hi

I am a 27 year old looking to change careers into law. I have started applying for some vac schemes and the first one I began yesterday asked for two referees, one academic and one professional.

The issue on the academic side is I didn’t go to a traditional uni rather I have obtained a degree equivalent (level 6 diploma) through part time study over a number of years. This was several years ago now, and the classes were virtual plus the teacher had so many students she for sure wouldn’t remember me. Then I did have a tutor but again this was so long ago and we had very little contact. The only person I could list who would probably remember me is my old head of sixth form. But I wasn’t a particularly stand out student, he focused on the Oxbridge and law/medicine applicants.

Then on professional referees I am currently at a firm and have been there for five years. I really really don’t want them to know I am looking to move industries so would rather not give anyone there as a referee (for a move to a similar job I probably wouldn’t mind giving them as a referee but I don’t want people to know at this point I want to go into law, particularly as it is so competitive I am not even get a job offer any time soon). I could always list a manager who used to work at my company but moved a few years ago but again I wouldn’t want word to get around I’m looking to change careers. So the only other option is my former boss at my last company and I think she would give a good reference but wanted to hear your thoughts in case you think I am being too sensitive re asking someone closer to where I work now.

Advice is welcome particularly if I will need to supply referees for future applications.

Thanks
I am also a career changer and finished uni about 7 years ago. My uni was a traditional one but I was in quite a large degree cohort and it is highly unlikely any of my lecturers remember me. I have just been giving the name of the course director who could verify I was on the degree program, like Jessica said this person is essentially admin (although they did teach me a class in second year I doubt they remember).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.