Regards, LegallyBrown

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Dear Reader,

I am starting this thread... primarily for myself, but if any readers want to contribute then please feel free. I have decided, at 01.30am, that it is time to hold myself accountable and channel my thoughts surrounding TC applications into a vice (so that it can finally leave my mind). I hope doing so will free up some of the negative thoughts, allow me to track my development, and perhaps one day I can look back at this and smile, knowing that I have finally made it.

Although the TC cycle is currently full steam ahead. I do not anticipate that I will send many applications this academic year. I currently have my elective exams, and amidst work and studying, there is little time left to apply myself fully to the application season. For this reason, I have narrowed my prospective application choices down to 5 firms: Kirkland & Ellis; Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe; White & Case; Macfarlanes; and Norton Rose Fulbright. Of course, if needs be, I will widen this again for the next cycle.

However, if I am honest with myself, or with any of you for that matter, I am worried (as you will come to learn gradually with every post). You see, I did not get the best grades, far from it. I got BCC at A-Level and a few 3rds at LLB, and although the grades are not great, I doubt I could have done any better or whether I was even willing to do any better...

*cue the mitigating circumstances*

During my studies, one of my parents was sadly diagnosed with stage-4 cancer, and I found our roles change. Following one bout of chemotherapy, I suddenly became the parent, and they became the child (the beautiful yet poignant circle of life). Of course, this meant that alongside my studies, I had also become a full-time carer. It's no excuse, I probably could have done better. However, weighing up what was more important, my parent trumped everything. So, I found myself attending less classes, doing minimal revision, and eventually sitting exams that I had no knowledge of. Truthfully, I wish I could say that I still cared about my education at the time, and I persevered, but I didn't. I did not think about my future, but rather focused on the future that was being taken from me: one where my parent would not see my graduation, one where they would not see me get married, and one where they would not be there to see their first grandchild. Instead, I wanted to make as many memories with them as possible, as these were all that would be left of them. I pretty much focused all my energy on them, and the ironic thing is, I have no regrets. Bad grades or not, I am grateful that I made that decision. Grateful that I got to spend as much time with my parent as possible.

However, my worry is that I will be unsuccessful in my endeavours. I know those firms are not exactly looking for anyone who does not meet the academic criteria and perhaps I should be applying for high street firms instead - but is it cringey to say that I know my worth? Not in the sense that high street firms are beneath me, but more in the sense that I know I am great at what I do, and if anything, I have the experience to showcase as such. Nevertheless, for some reason, every time I apply for a VS/TC - I keep getting rejected, even where my WGT scores are hitting the 90% mark (thank you v much Linklaters).

I often try convincing myself that okay maybe a lot of candidates got into the top 10% and perhaps I just missed the cut, OR maybe my applications were not written to the best quality. However, the more that time passes by, and the more that I develop my applications - the more I think that maybe it's those bloody grades that keep getting me screened out instead (I can't imagine an ATS having a filter button for whether a candidate’s mitigating circumstances are good enough and often wonder whether these are taken into account during a pre-screen at all). However, just like the rest of you, I won't give up. I know I will make it one day (and don't worry I am shaking the mix of firm choices around for the next cycle and will continue to develop my applications).

See you at the next post.

Regards,

LegallyBrown

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for taking the time to post and tell us your story.

Firstly, there is a massive gulf between the firms you have applied to and the high street. There will be hundreds of firms that will provide your much more similar work to the likes of K&E than a high street firm. It is good you have found your focus, especially given how busy you are currently, but I would encourage you to consider firms outside of the five you have applied to at a later date. It sounds like you may have done this in the past though, if you have applied to other firms like Linklaters, and that it’s just five firms this cycle?

You are right that your circumstances around your A-levels are not an excuse. They are much bigger than that - they are clear and serious extenuating circumstances, something that firms should (and most likely will) take very seriously. I hope you are providing context like the fact you were a carer for your parent when explaining these in applications, as this is ultimately the part that’s most important here - finding out the commitments you had outside of your studies that were outside of your control but absolutely (and rightly so) your priority.

If you are highlighting your extenuating circumstances in applications, I do feel there is something else here that is potentially is the area for development.

It’s hard to pin point it specifically, but for instance (and this might not be the case it’s just something I picked up from your post), the mixture of different things you have done (masters degree, marketing, self employment) can sometimes cause a “does this person make a commitment or stick to things?” concern - at one of the firms I used to work at, we called this stickability as they wanted people who could make long term careers at the firm and wouldn’t just try law out and then change their path shortly after qualification. Alongside this, it can sometimes cause concerns around whether law is what you really want to do - I have seen plenty of people who have been self employed really struggle to explain why they want to move away from the freedom of self employment to an environment that probably couldn’t be more rigid and structured in terms of hierarchies and who does what.

I must stress this is just me trying to potentially highlight what could be an issue - I could be very wrong here!

Reactions: Jaysen

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Thank you for taking the time to post and tell us your story.

Firstly, there is a massive gulf between the firms you have applied to and the high street. There will be hundreds of firms that will provide your much more similar work to the likes of K&E than a high street firm. It is good you have found your focus, especially given how busy you are currently, but I would encourage you to consider firms outside of the five you have applied to at a later date. It sounds like you may have done this in the past though, if you have applied to other firms like Linklaters, and that it’s just five firms this cycle?

You are right that your circumstances around your A-levels are not an excuse. They are much bigger than that - they are clear and serious extenuating circumstances, something that firms should (and most likely will) take very seriously. I hope you are providing context like the fact you were a carer for your parent when explaining these in applications, as this is ultimately the part that’s most important here - finding out the commitments you had outside of your studies that were outside of your control but absolutely (and rightly so) your priority.

If you are highlighting your extenuating circumstances in applications, I do feel there is something else here that is potentially is the area for development.

It’s hard to pin point it specifically, but for instance (and this might not be the case it’s just something I picked up from your post), the mixture of different things you have done (masters degree, marketing, self employment) can sometimes cause a “does this person make a commitment or stick to things?” concern - at one of the firms I used to work at, we called this stickability as they wanted people who could make long term careers at the firm and wouldn’t just try law out and then change their path shortly after qualification. Alongside this, it can sometimes cause concerns around whether law is what you really want to do - I have seen plenty of people who have been self employed really struggle to explain why they want to move away from the freedom of self employment to an environment that probably couldn’t be more rigid and structured in terms of hierarchies and who does what.

I must stress this is just me trying to potentially highlight what could be an issue - I could be very wrong here!
    Hey Jess,

Thanks for your response.

In terms of my firm choices: these are not the ones that I am focused on. Instead, my top choice firms do not have any A-Level requirements whatsoever. However, I applied for vacation schemes with them earlier on in the year, and so have to wait until the next cycle to submit an application. Until then, I am left with these firms to apply for. My only concern is whether it is worth it, given the A-Level criteria.

That probably sounds like I have terrible motivation for these firms (and the risk that this can come through in the applications), but I have been able to research the firms and choose details about them that I can relate to and showcase my interest in. I like to think, I at least sound like each of them are my top choice.

I do understand your point surrounding my experiences, however, I am not sure how else to go about them. I tend to bring them into line with any skills that I feel are relevant e.g. as a market surveyor I learnt a great deal about communication, and composing myself even when conversations were not heading in the direction I wanted. To be honest, I don't see why this could be an issue, but if it is a case of stickability, the non-legal roles were all before I graduated/started focusing on my legal career (so I am hoping they notice the dates).

As for the self-employment, this is simply a hobby of mine.

As always, I will remain positive, and will definitely open up my firm choices. For now, I will have to stick with these few (I am not expecting much) and will keep this thread updated with my progress.

Regards,

LegallyBrown

Last edited:
    Reactions: ab01

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey Jess,

Thanks for your response.

In terms of my firm choices: these are not the ones that I am focused on. Instead, my top choice firms do not have any A-Level requirements whatsoever. However, I applied for vacation schemes with them earlier on in the year, and so have to wait until the next cycle to submit an application. I did consider perhaps changing my account details, but my experience as a grad recruiter showed me the brilliance of the ATS and that little duplicity flag button that pops up when certain details seem the same. I would rather not get on the wrong side of any recruiters, so am happily waiting my turn. Until then, I am left with these firms to apply for. My only concern is whether it is worth it, given the A-Level criteria.

That probably sounds like I have terrible motivation for these firms (and the risk that this can come through in the applications), but I have been able to research the firms and choose details about them that I can relate to and showcase my interest in. I like to think, I at least sound like each of them are my top choice.

I do understand your point surrounding my experiences, however, I am not sure how else to go about them. I tend to bring them into line with any skills that I feel are relevant e.g. as a market surveyor I learnt a great deal about communication, and composing myself even when conversations were not heading in the direction I wanted. To be honest, I don't see why this could be an issue, but if it is a case of stickability, the non-legal roles were all before I graduated/started focusing on my legal career (so I am hoping they notice the dates).

As for the self-employment, this is simply a hobby of mine. I make vegan chocolate and supply them to a few niche outlets. I have always explained this in terms of a hobby, where I could learn more about business. I truly hope these firms do not confuse this with an attempt at me becoming the next Willy Wonka (I'm more of a blazers than purple coats sort of girl).

As always, I will remain positive, and will definitely open up my firm choices. For now, I will have to stick with these few (I am not expecting much) and will keep this thread updated with my progress.

Regards,

LegallyBrown
    For the stickability point, the way to tackle that is not really about highlighting the skills (that shows your competence), it’s more about clearly articulating your motivations and why this is now what you definitely want to do rather than just something you could do.

My sense (on the very limited amount of information) is that could be the issue here - if you have had experience in graduate recruitment too, that adds to the diverse range of things you have done (and many of those are very different to a legal career), so clearly articulating why you want to do law rather than just showing your capabilities within it, might be something to focus on.

You have clear extenuating circumstances, so I would encourage you to apply to any firm, even if they have an A-level criteria. If you do have any proof of these circumstances (such as an academic reference from your school/college), I would mention that you can provide this to them at a later stage if they would like to see it.

Reactions: LegallyBrown

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Dear Reader,

So..... these past few weeks have not been as productive as I would have preferred. However, I am not punishing myself. In the midst of work, studying, and exams - I needed a digital detox (so I took a nice long break to relax and maintain some sanity).

Although I did miss quite a few TC deadlines for a few firms I had chosen (following a wider pool of choices). They were simply reserves, so that I could feel some sort of accomplishment knowing I applied. However realistically, I was not expecting to get anywhere with them - as they only took like 5-10 trainees a year. This is not me saying I do not believe in applying to firms that only take 5 trainees, but simply that the competition may be fiercer, depending on other factors of course. I simply feel more comfortable applying to firms with a higher amount of TC's. So all in all, I am not beating myself up about this slight oversight in the deadlines.

In terms of positives, I did manage to submit an application for NRF. I can say I tried my best with the application, however I am slightly wary of this one. Although they take into account mitigating circumstances, it is the first time I have seen an application allocate a tick box to whether or not you meet the minimum A-Level criteria (ABB). I hope it will not be a case of filtering candidates out on the ATS by simply using this question.

Aside from this, I have been asked to join a client meeting in France later this week, alongside a small team of associates/trainees. Although this is definitely an experience I do not want to miss, I will most likely spend my weekend holed up in my hotel room focusing on the upcoming White & Case training contract application (which I believe is not on a rolling basis). Darn those two weeks spent relaxing. However, it is what it is. I am sure I will feel better knowing I tried my best at this application as opposed to rushing it once I return.

Regards,

LegallyBrown

Last edited:

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Dear Reader,

I got a rejection (and for some reason this one hurt worse than my break-up). I mean.... it was kind of expected - the behemoth that Kirkland & Ellis is, but after spending 6 whole days on the application, and feeling as though I got a good grip of the news article I chose (having worked as part of the team on that matter myself - don't worry I did not disclose any confidential information in case the SRA is lurking) it still hurt. The funny thing is, the minute the email came into my inbox, I dared open it, instead, I was busy fantasising about all the things I would say in my interview. 5 minutes of my life I will never get back. Anyway... I'm glad I tried, to be honest the research into their private equity deals really helped me with my LPC... so I guess "thank you"?

In terms of being productive, I managed to sacrifice my time in France and worked on my White & Case application. I am not going to lie, I always think my applications are amazing, and then I write another one and think that one is better. I say this because I got rejected by White & Case in the past, and although I thought my first application was the best, and somehow they were conspiring against me - having written this one, I can say my first application was awful. This is not to say that I am 100% confident that I will get to the next stage, just that I am noticing the development that comes with rejection, and I must say, it is not all that bad.

In terms of next steps, I have my eye on Macfarlanes and maybe Addleshaw Goddard. However, my LPC does come first, and given the upcoming exams I don't know if I can commit to another application right now but I will try. If I do, you'll here about it in the next post.

See you then.

Regards,

LegallyBrown

Reactions: ab01 and Erin

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Dear Reader,

So, being the productive star that I am, I managed to submit the Macfarlanes application, albeit one minute before the deadline. I definitely do not recommend leaving things that late as the stress was unimaginable. However, I dedicated a good amount of time to researching the firm and thinking about what stuff I wanted to talk about. Not sure if I really sold myself as well as I could, but will wait to see how I got on.

As it stands, I am currently waiting on Orrick, White & Case, Norton Rose Fulbright, and now Macfarlanes. I am a natural stress-head at heart, so I did email Orrick to ask about when we could expect to hear back, and they "confirmed" they were currently reviewing applications and would make decisions at the end of the review. In my experience, it kind of felt like a boilerplate email to say "we have an idea of who we want to invite, but just want to make sure they make it to the AC and then will reject the rest of you" but I am trying to manifest good things so I won't dwell on the negatives.

In terms of next steps, I am considering applying to Hogan Lovells (HL) and Addleshaw Goddard (AG), but the fact the deadline is in 9 days, and that they review on a rolling basis makes me doubt my chances. I don't know, but it is not a priority at this stage as my focus is on the LPC (which is literally eating away at my brain cells).

Either way, I am sure you'll hear about it in the next post.

Regards,

LegallyBrown

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Dear Reader,

Amidst the stress of studying, trying to figure out why on earth HL want to know about my innovation as opposed to motivation, and being "asked" to work some overtime, I forgot to check my emails today. If I did... I would have noticed that NRF invited me to the next stage of the recruitment process at 2pm instead of now, at 10pm, waking me from my long awaited beauty sleep.

I am not entirely sure what to think, but I feel really nervous. Don't get me wrong, I am confident in my ability to get around 35/40 in the WGT (darn you drawing conclusions) and appreciate that could still mean I am in the lowest percentile in the event everyone gets above a 35, but this feels strange. I am not sure if they invite everybody to the next stage (in which case I will feel less nervous) or if they only invite a select few (which changes everything).

Who knew, guess I am scared of success just as much as I am failure.

As for Hogan Lovells... well we shall see if I ever send that application.

Regards,

LegallyBrown

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Dear Reader,

So, it's been a little while since my last post. Although I wish I could say I was busy sunbathing in the French Riviera with a glass of rose in one hand and a Harper Lee novel in the other, sadly I can't. Instead, I have been cooped up in my kitchen-sized London apartment "studying" for my LPC exams. It's not been too bad though; the flickers of sunlight that peak through my grease stained windows in the morning have been quite the compensation.

In terms of updates, hmm... other than the fact I joined the gym, and received high distinctions for my electives, there has not been much going on... Oh, did I forget to mention that I GOT INVITED TO AN ASSESSMENT DAY WITH MACFARLANES, AND MADE IT THROUGH TO THE NEXT ROUND WITH NORTON ROSE FULBRIGHT. Yep that too.

How did I go from years of post-application rejections to two invites within 1 hour of each other? It almost feels too good to be true. A part of me feels as though they have made an error, which they will soon realise and correct. The other part of me however, in the words of Lizzo, would like to say "IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME".

It's early days, so I have not been fantasising about my trainee life just yet. However, is it normal to feel this scared? I know rejections are scary, but like I said before, this feeling is something else. The further and further you get in the process the more it feels like you've got to lose. Strange.

Anyway, back to studying and now preparing for my interview/AC.

I'll be back to update you shortly.

Regards,

LegallyBrown

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Dear Reader,

So, it's been a little while since my last post. Although I wish I could say I was busy sunbathing in the French Riviera with a glass of rose in one hand and a Harper Lee novel in the other, sadly I can't. Instead, I have been cooped up in my kitchen-sized London apartment "studying" for my LPC exams. It's not been too bad though; the flickers of sunlight that peak through my grease stained windows in the morning have been quite the compensation.

In terms of updates, hmm... other than the fact I joined the gym, and received high distinctions for my electives, there has not been much going on... Oh, did I forget to mention that I GOT INVITED TO AN ASSESSMENT DAY WITH MACFARLANES, AND MADE IT THROUGH TO THE NEXT ROUND WITH NORTON ROSE FULBRIGHT. Yep that too.

How did I go from years of post-application rejections to two invites within 1 hour of each other? It almost feels too good to be true. A part of me feels as though they have made an error, which they will soon realise and correct. The other part of me however, in the words of Lizzo, would like to say "IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME".

It's early days, so I have not been fantasising about my trainee life just yet. However, is it normal to feel this scared? I know rejections are scary, but like I said before, this feeling is something else. The further and further you get in the process the more it feels like you've got to lose. Strange.

Anyway, back to studying and now preparing for my interview/AC.

I'll be back to update you shortly.

Regards,

LegallyBrown

This made me very happy to read. Rooting for you 🙏

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Dear Reader,

I was hoping to bring you some good news with my next post, more so for me than you, but I fear this is not that time.

I was rejected post AC for Macfarlanes, and if I am honest, I have no confidence in my applications to NRF, HL, Weil and L&W. The last two being rare chances I took due to free time. White & Case also hit me with a post-app rejection today at 04.42pm, with the "we look for candidates who have more relevant experience".... around the same time I was making amendments to a sale and purchase agreement for an associate in our New York office. Sound like relevant experience to you? Guess again. (PLEASE NOTE - I AM KIDDING, I APPRECIATE WHITE & CASE LOOK FOR MORE THAN RELEVANT EXPERIENCE BUT HEY I EITHER LAUGH OR CRY).

Truth be told, I am not annoyed about Macfarlanes. Rather, I am upset. I did not realise how much I wanted the Training Contract until I met the team. The firm genuinely seem so lovely, I don't think I've ever met a Partner I wanted to be 'besties' with before but they have them. If you slept on Macfarlanes this cycle, do not make the same mistake again. On the outside, they may not appear to have the magic circle prestige, or the bustling London office, but they seem to have the people - and that is something that a multi-million leasehold, or a £1m budget on marketing and award entries cannot buy. For anyone reading this, consider applying there, fulfil my dream :(

Aside from the suffocating feeling of failure, and the small voice in my head telling me I blew my only chance, I honestly feel quite embarrassed. It's going to sound ridiculous, but I found family in my friends, and not only have they have been so invested in my applications, but they took the time off work to stay at my house, prepare me for this assessment centre, and drove me all the way to London. Telling them I was rejected was more painful than the rejection itself. Guess they need to work on their preparation skills (joking).

Anyway, back to the drawing board for me. Like I said, it was not the post I wanted to be writing but I felt like I should update this thread anyway. I am not sure when I will be back to write the next post, as I think it's probably time to take a little break, but I will still be here in the background rooting for the rest of you.

Regards,

LegallyBrown

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 18, 2022
    Really sorry to hear that @LegallyBrown but keep your chin up. I really believe law firm applications are a numbers game - being rejected does not necessarily reflect your ability or suitability. I have so many friends who are now 2-4+ PQE who tell me about applying to 10+ firms, getting <5 interviews and managing to bag a TC. Many then go on to 'upgrade' to better firms in their careers where initially they did not even get past the application stage.
    This runs contrary to what I have read @Jessica Booker say elsewhere, but I would also reapply next cycle / for a VS even if you feel nothing has substantially changed - when the margins are so small between candidates it really can come down to a whim if the recruiter passes you or not.
    I was trying to find it, but I remember reading a study where a bloc of CVs of students (who, unbeknownst to the study participants, were already students at Oxford/Cambridge) were submitted to an Oxford/Cambridge admissions board, and only half were invited to interview (bearing in mind all the CVs were of students who were already actually at the university!) - so don't let this weigh on your self esteem or feeling of self worth please!

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Really sorry to hear that @LegallyBrown but keep your chin up. I really believe law firm applications are a numbers game - being rejected does not necessarily reflect your ability or suitability. I have so many friends who are now 2-4+ PQE who tell me about applying to 10+ firms, getting <5 interviews and managing to bag a TC. Many then go on to 'upgrade' to better firms in their careers where initially they did not even get past the application stage.
    This runs contrary to what I have read @Jessica Booker say elsewhere, but I would also reapply next cycle / for a VS even if you feel nothing has substantially changed - when the margins are so small between candidates it really can come down to a whim if the recruiter passes you or not.
    I was trying to find it, but I remember reading a study where a bloc of CVs of students (who, unbeknownst to the study participants, were already students at Oxford/Cambridge) were submitted to an Oxford/Cambridge admissions board, and only half were invited to interview (bearing in mind all the CVs were of students who were already actually at the university!) - so don't let this weigh on your self esteem or feeling of self worth please!
    Thanks for the lovely post, I’m just taking some time out to rest and reflect. Overall I think it’s been a positive cycle (aside from the shortcomings).

I will definitely be looking into the vacation schemes, and will be building off my successful applications going forward.

I’m just taking some time out in the background to rest and detach from the process for a while. As important as it is to get a TC, I don’t want to comprise my mental health in search of one. I’m a strong believer in what’s meant to be will be, and I am in no rush to qualify.

I’ve been very fortunate getting the experiences and opportunities I have until date, which I believe if I had secured a TC earlier on would not have been possible. So there is always a silver lining to these grey clouds.

Right now though, I will be catching up on sleep, putting up the shelf in my bedroom I’ve been pushing off for ever, and taking some time out to go on a well deserved holiday.

I’m sure I’ll be back to update this thread in the next few weeks xx

Regards,

LegallyBrown

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Dear Reader,

After a long-needed break, I am back and currently editing an application as we speak.

Apologies if I left sounding defeated, it was probably a premature reflection to what I would call a successful cycle. Of course, not successful in the sense that I got a training contract, but rather, I finally got the confirmation that I was good enough to be considered.

Gone are the days left wondering whether these firms are actually reading my applications, and welcome the days where I am again, writing 10 words a minute, trying to figure out why this news article interested me.

After much deliberation, I have selected the firms I will be applying to for this cycle. These include, in no particular order:

1. Ashurst
    2. Herbert Smith Freehills
    3. Linklaters
    4. Travers Smith
    5. Jones Day*
    6. Covington & Burling*
    7. Allen & Overy
    8. Clifford Chance
    9. Slaughter & May
    10. Baker Mckenzie*
    11. Skadden*
    12. DLA Piper
    13. Shearman & Sterling*
    14. Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
    15. Sidley Austin*

I am not sure if this seems like a lot, or whether it is too less, I am still trying to find the balance between spreading myself too thin and too thick. However, rest assured, I have prioritised the firms according to which ones appeal to me most.

Of course, like anybody trying to be the next Forbes Under 30 leader, you will notice I have included firms that seem well out of my reach (*). However, these are subject to change and will not be taking any priority over my time. Although their branding may imply otherwise, I don't think I am the type of candidate they are looking for (cough cough A-Levels, cough cough university). So if I send an application to them, rest easy knowing it was because I had the time.

Wishing you all a lovely cycle!

Regards,

LegallyBrown

Last edited:

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 5, 2019
    Dear Reader,

After a long-needed break, I am back and currently editing an application as we speak.

Apologies if I left sounding defeated, it was probably a premature reflection to what I would call a successful cycle. Of course, not successful in the sense that I got a training contract, but rather, I finally got the confirmation that I was good enough to be considered.

Gone are the days left wondering whether these firms are actually reading my applications, and welcome the days where I am again, writing 10 words a minute, trying to figure out why this news article interested me.

After much deliberation, I have selected the firms I will be applying to for this cycle. These include, in no particular order:

1. Ashurst
    2. Herbert Smith Freehills
    3. Linklaters
    4. Travers Smith
    5. Jones Day*
    6. Covington & Burling*
    7. Allen & Overy
    8. Clifford Chance
    9. Slaughter & May
    10. Baker Mckenzie*
    11. Skadden*
    12. DLA Piper
    13. Shearman & Sterling*
    14. Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
    15. Sidley Austin*

I am not sure if this seems like a lot, or whether it is too less, I am still trying to find the balance between spreading myself too thin and too thick. However, rest assured, I have prioritised the firms according to which ones appeal to me most.

Of course, like any girl trying to be the next Forbes Under 30 leader, you will notice I have included firms that seem well out of my reach (*). However, these are subject to change and will not be taking any priority over my time. Although their branding may imply otherwise, I don't think I am the type of candidate they are looking for (cough cough A-Levels, cough cough unknown university). So if I send an application to them, rest easy knowing it was because I had the time.

As for Clifford Chance and Slaughter & May, the first one I feel compelled to apply for simply because I am finally eligible to apply internally, as for the latter, I did some work experience there and never applied since. Although the people I worked with were lovely, and maybe it's imposter syndrome, but I felt just as out of place as their glass elevators. Either way, I will be giving both a shot.

Wishing you all a lovely cycle!

Regards,

LegallyBrown
    That's a good list @LegallyBrown - if you are keen on a firm, just apply. Don't think that you are not the 'right type of candidate' because, from my experience, there's no such thing.

Good luck!

Paul

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.