Regional PGDL courses and networking

gojd31iris

May 2, 2024
Hello!
I have a bachelor's degree in law and two years of work experience (mostly logistics and insurance) in countries with non-common law. My main aim is to get a job in London and become a solicitor (might seem very banal, but that's it).

My current plan is to apply for full-time face-to-face PGDL and pay for it on my own. The preferred institution is UoL, and two other options are BPP (as far as I understand, it is more negatively assessed by alumni) and Nottingham Trent University (not bad uni, but still not as widely known as UoL or BPP courses), which is slightly cheaper than the first two options.

My main question: is PGDL education beyond London different from London PGDL's? I know that UoL and BPP organise firm fairs and networking events with companies that they are contacting frequently. I guess that London companies won't be represented in other cities at these courses for their employers (partly or even fully) exist, but I don't think it makes sense to apply for such contracts. Firstly, where to find them (I suspect that law firms offer them at unis to students)? Secondly, it is unlikely that they will give funding to someone with no UK education and work experience. What do you think about it?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello!
I have a bachelor's degree in law and two years of work experience (mostly logistics and insurance) in countries with non-common law. My main aim is to get a job in London and become a solicitor (might seem very banal, but that's it).

My current plan is to apply for full-time face-to-face PGDL and pay for it on my own. The preferred institution is UoL, and two other options are BPP (as far as I understand, it is more negatively assessed by alumni) and Nottingham Trent University (not bad uni, but still not as widely known as UoL or BPP courses), which is slightly cheaper than the first two options.

My main question: is PGDL education beyond London different from London PGDL's? I know that UoL and BPP organise firm fairs and networking events with companies that they are contacting frequently. I guess that London companies won't be represented in other cities at these courses for their employers (partly or even fully) exist, but I don't think it makes sense to apply for such contracts. Firstly, where to find them (I suspect that law firms offer them at unis to students)? Secondly, it is unlikely that they will give funding to someone with no UK education and work experience. What do you think about it?
It’s a fairly standardised course so the educational content is going to be very similar whether you do it in London or Nottingham.

London firms regularly go to events across the U.K. - even as far as Edinburgh and St Andrews. I wouldn’t worry too much about that, as once you also include virtual events, there will be lots of options. I have often had Nottingham Trent students at the Univeristy of Nottingham’s career events and I’ve lost count how many times I have done events at Nottingham.

gojd31iris

May 2, 2024
It’s a fairly standardised course so the educational content is going to be very similar whether you do it in London or Nottingham.

London firms regularly go to events across the U.K. - even as far as Edinburgh and St Andrews. I wouldn’t worry too much about that, as once you also include virtual events, there will be lots of options. I have often had Nottingham Trent students at the Univeristy of Nottingham’s career events and I’ve lost count how many times I have done events at Nottingham.

After completing my research, I got the impression that PGDL is not the best match for me because I am eligible for LLM SQE1&2 as overseas bachelor in law. It fells like PGDL is prompting me nowhere except from getting a representation of law system in England and increasing my chances to be employed. Meanwhile, LLM SQE1&2 gives me a chance to reach the recognisable milestone.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
After completing my research, I got the impression that PGDL is not the best match for me because I am eligible for LLM SQE1&2 as overseas bachelor in law. It fells like PGDL is prompting me nowhere except from getting a representation of law system in England and increasing my chances to be employed. Meanwhile, LLM SQE1&2 gives me a chance to reach the recognisable milestone.
The GDL is no longer a requirement but can be helpful to develop your knowledge on English law before proceeding to an SQE course. It really depends on whether your law degree is in a jurisdiction that has a lot of similarities to English law. If not, you may still want to consider the GDL or ensure your SQE course will cover similar content.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.