Researching firms: clients and deals

PrancingUnicorns

Aug 14, 2018
Hi all,

I know people like to use recent deals and a firm's clients as specific reasons for being interested in a firm but I was wondering how I would go about doing this.

With regard to deals and cases, I'm concerned about expressing interest in a case but coming across like my interest seems a bit arbitrary or overly generic.

Also, is it preferable to mention recent deals compared to other factors like e.g. diversity or flat hierarchy even if you could back the latter two up with specific references/examples?

Thanks!

Reactions: Bugsy Malone

Jaxkw

Star Member
Early Bird
Mar 15, 2018
Hi all,

I know people like to use recent deals and a firm's clients as specific reasons for being interested in a firm but I was wondering how I would go about doing this.

With regard to deals and cases, I'm concerned about expressing interest in a case but coming across like my interest seems a bit arbitrary or overly generic.

Also, is it preferable to mention recent deals compared to other factors like e.g. diversity or flat hierarchy even if you could back the latter two up with specific references/examples?

Thanks!

I'm keen to know this too.

Until recently in most of my applications, I'd include a point about the culture/diversity at a firm. That's because usually I had been to an open day/met the firm before and it was a genuine reason for applying.

Another applicant then asked me to proofread his application and his points for applying were very different to mine. He discussed a deal/recent awards by the firm and it tbh I found it much more impressive to read. After I read that, I started adopting his approach, even though it wasn't really the true reason I was applying to the firm - although I did pick a deal that I found interesting.

At the moment, I'm still unsure which points I should be including, so would be good to hear other people's thoughts.

Kazam

Star Member
Early Bird
Aug 13, 2018
I can't speak from my own experience but there's a bit in in the training contract guide about this: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/the-complete-guide-to-training-contract-applications/.

"To show I’ve read the website, should I refer to some of the firm’s awards or deals that appear there?
No. Alex just cringes when she reads that. She’s not reading the form to find out about the firm she works for, which she knows far more about than you do. Amazingly enough, Alex wants to find out about you. Don’t waste space telling the firm about itself. Alex will feel she’s working in an echo chamber."

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all,

Thanks!

Great questions.

I review many applications where a student has tried to refer to a recent deal or a client to back up their reasons for applying. Most of the time, the link between the point and evidence is tenuous, which means it doesn't read as genuine. This ends up hurting more than helping their application.

If you want to mention a deal or a client, that's fine, but you need to leave enough space to make the point. For example, if you were to use a deal, you should be using specific information to explain why it interests you, including information about how the law firm was involved and how that links to your interest in the firm. The emphasis is on the why here: don't simply tell the firm what happened. Explain which aspects you found interesting.

Perhaps, for example, you want to write about the time when a law firm helped a UK company issue a bond to US investors. It wouldn't be enough to say you liked the "international scope" of the deal, or that it shows the law firm has a "leading banking team". That's far too generic. It doesn't tell me why you are applying, nor why you are applying to that particular firm over all the other law firms with good banking teams.

Instead, you should ask yourself: What's special about this deal? What does this deal tell you about the law firm?

Let's try a better answer. You note the law firm fielded a team of US and UK banking lawyers to advise the UK company. You say that this backs up your broader point -- that the law firm is one of only a handful of transatlantic law firms. This makes you want to apply because you have an interest in finance-related work. And you want to work at this law firm, in particular, because its reach in New York and London means it is uniquely positioned to advise on the most complex, high-value finance work on both sides of the pond.

Now, there are other things you could have said. But, the point is, you're not trying to name drop an arbitrary deal or client. Nor are you mentioning it for the sake of showing you have read about the law firm. Instead, it's being used to affirm the broader point you are making about your reasons for applying. This comes across as far more genuine.

Kazam is right. In his guide, Ben does suggest students should not to refer to deals or awards. But, I believe Ben is saying this as a warning that you should not just tell a law firm about itself or for the sake of showing off your knowledge of the firm. I'm of the view that it's fine to mention these things as evidence of a point you are making, rather than as the point itself.

Finally, to answer your last question, it partly depends on how you obtained your information. I always value information you have obtained by meeting a law firm the highest. It comes across as genuine and shows you have gone away to meet the law firm.

Beyond that, I don't really have a preference. You definitely do not need to mention a deal to give a convincing answer to why you are applying to a law firm. So, by all means, if you are interested in a law firm because of its efforts in diversity, then you should mention it.

Last edited:

Jaxkw

Star Member
    Early Bird
    Mar 15, 2018
    Great questions.

I review many applications where a student has tried to refer to a recent deal or a client to back up their reasons for applying. Most of the time, the link between the point and evidence is tenuous, which means it doesn't read as genuine. This ends up hurting more than helping their application.

If you want to mention a deal or a client, that's fine, but you need to leave enough space to make the point. For example, if you were to use a deal, you should be using specific information to explain why it interests you, including information about how the law firm was involved and how that links to your interest in the firm. The emphasis is on the why here: don't simply tell the firm what happened. Explain which aspects you found interesting.

Perhaps, for example, you want to write about the time when a law firm helped a UK company issue a bond to US investors. It wouldn't be enough to say you liked the "international scope" of the deal, or that it shows the law firm has a "leading banking team". That's far too generic. It doesn't tell me why you are applying, nor why you are applying to that particular firm over all the other law firms with good banking teams.

Instead, you should ask yourself: What's special about this deal? What does this deal tell you about the law firm?

Let's try a better answer. You note the law firm fielded a team of US and UK banking lawyers to advise the UK company. You say that this backs up your broader point -- that the law firm is one of only a handful of transatlantic law firms. This makes you want to apply because you have an interest in finance-related work. And you want to work at this law firm, in particular, because its reach in New York and London means it is uniquely positioned to advise on the most complex, high-value finance work on both sides of the pond.

Now, there are other things you could have said. But, the point is, you're not trying to name drop an arbitrary deal or client. Nor are you mentioning it for the sake of showing you have read about the law firm. Instead, it's being used to affirm the broader point you are making about your reasons for applying. This comes across as far more genuine.

Kazam is right. In his guide, Ben does suggest students should not to refer to deals or awards. But, I believe Ben is saying this as a warning that you should not just tell a law firm about itself or for the sake of showing off your knowledge of the firm. I'm of the view that it's fine to mention these things as evidence of a point you are making, rather than as the point itself.

Finally, to answer your last question, it partly depends on how you obtained your information. I always value information you have obtained by meeting a law firm the highest. It comes across as genuine and shows you have gone away to meet the law firm.

Beyond that, I don't really have a preference. You definitely do not need to mention a deal to give a convincing answer to why you are applying to a law firm. So, by all means, if you are interested in a law firm because of its efforts in diversity, then you should mention it.

Super helpful, thanks!

Legalese

Jul 10, 2018
    I always mention the odd deal or case only if it relates back to my experience, never go into the technical legal details, I think that can be a big error on a form. For example: say some experience you have had, how that experience gives you some understanding of x market, and how that is relevant to the firm, for example: insert recent deal/case.

FYI - instead of the firm website - I always check:

1. The Legal 500 rankings for the firm: browse the legal practice areas and find something that catches your eye (preferably in an area they focus on)
    2. Check out: https://www.thelawyer.com/deals-tracker-shearman-sterling/ - this has the latest information.

MightyMoe

Star Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I always mention the odd deal or case only if it relates back to my experience, never go into the technical legal details, I think that can be a big error on a form. For example: say some experience you have had, how that experience gives you some understanding of x market, and how that is relevant to the firm, for example: insert recent deal/case.

FYI - instead of the firm website - I always check:

1. The Legal 500 rankings for the firm: browse the legal practice areas and find something that catches your eye (preferably in an area they focus on)
    2. Check out: https://www.thelawyer.com/deals-tracker-shearman-sterling/ - this has the latest information.

That deals tracker is perfect. I just wish they updated it!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.