Resources to research firms' recent deals and clients

Ansi

Sep 15, 2022
Hi all,

I am currently applying to several VSs and have received the advice to support my observations about the firm with specific deals and/or clients.

1) Is this the correct approach, and when is it best to include such details?
2) Where would I find such information (ideally for free or for a low cost)? I have tried The Lawyer but most of the content requires a hefty subscription.

Many thanks in advance!

shannontongg

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Trainee
Junior Lawyer 10
  • Oct 3, 2021
    Hi Ansi :)

I think it's definitely worth referencing specific deals and clients if they form part of your reason for wanting to work at that firm, and part of your answer to 'why this firm'.

In terms of where to look, I would suggest:

1. The firm's website - the news section of the website may cover some recent high profile matters. The profiles of key lawyers usually also list key matters they have worked on. Similarly, the firm / key people's LinkedIn posts may have some info as well.

2. Legal directories like the Legal 500, or Chambers and Partners. If you look up a certain firm's ranking for a specific practice area, the directories usually give details of main deals / clients as well (and these will have been submitted to the directory by the firm themselves).

I hope this helps!

Ansi

Sep 15, 2022
    Hi Ansi :)

I think it's definitely worth referencing specific deals and clients if they form part of your reason for wanting to work at that firm, and part of your answer to 'why this firm'.

In terms of where to look, I would suggest:

1. The firm's website - the news section of the website may cover some recent high profile matters. The profiles of key lawyers usually also list key matters they have worked on. Similarly, the firm / key people's LinkedIn posts may have some info as well.

2. Legal directories like the Legal 500, or Chambers and Partners. If you look up a certain firm's ranking for a specific practice area, the directories usually give details of main deals / clients as well (and these will have been submitted to the directory by the firm themselves).

I hope this helps!
    Hi!

Many, many thanks! I'll check all of these out!

Do you have any tips on how to avoid 'name-dropping' clients and deals? I feel like the limited details provided + the word count limitations almost necessitate that kind of approach.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi!

Many, many thanks! I'll check all of these out!

Do you have any tips on how to avoid 'name-dropping' clients and deals? I feel like the limited details provided + the word count limitations almost necessitate that kind of approach.
    My advice for this is to link it back to you. Why are you picking that specific deal and why is it relevant to your application?

Reactions: HLL

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi all,

I am currently applying to several VSs and have received the advice to support my observations about the firm with specific deals and/or clients.

1) Is this the correct approach, and when is it best to include such details?
    2) Where would I find such information (ideally for free or for a low cost)? I have tried The Lawyer but most of the content requires a hefty subscription.

Many thanks in advance!
    I found the firm's website, graduate brochure and news stories/recent deals published by them the most helpful in conducting firm research!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.