Russell-Cooke application question - help!

Katie Swift

Nov 28, 2020
'If you couldn't work in law, what do you think you would do and why?' (300 words) (Russell-Cooke application question)

I'm having a little trouble answering this question, I'm not sure if you should relate the career path to qualities that the firm wants? Or should you just do something completely different and out of the ordinary? I used to want to be an expert in wine tasting (I know, weird), and took courses for it before I wanted to go into law...but is this too random?

Thanks!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
'If you couldn't work in law, what do you think you would do and why?' (300 words) (Russell-Cooke application question)

I'm having a little trouble answering this question, I'm not sure if you should relate the career path to qualities that the firm wants? Or should you just do something completely different and out of the ordinary? I used to want to be an expert in wine tasting (I know, weird), and took courses for it before I wanted to go into law...but is this too random?

Thanks!
I think this question is really one where they might be testing what drives you because they might look at the career path you give and try to see if there are similarities in law (don't need to be overt, i.e. don't need to say banking/ consulting but might want to see client interactions, written work orientated etc) but I also think it might be a way for them to get to know and understand your personality more. I always advocate for honesty in applications so definitely try to stick to what is genuine and I would probably keep those two differing points I have mentioned in mind.

Reactions: Katie Swift

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Thanks!

Hi Katie,

I agree with Alice on this. I know someone who answered a question similar to this by talking about how they were a qualified ski instructor and why they would be content doing it permanently but also what additional things they wanted personally and professionally that that particular path wouldn't have been able to fulfil but a career in law would.

Maybe that's another way you could approach explaining the expert wine taster example (very cool alternate career choice I must say) ☺️

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.