Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello,

I was just wondering whether anybody has any idea of the conversion rate for summer internships at Slaughter and May?

Thanks!
There won’t really be a figure. If everyone on the scheme didn’t meet the criteria, then they it could be 0% and they would just recruit more direct TC (highly unlikely obviously, but you get the point).

Are you trying to look at this as a vac schemer or as someone wanting to apply for a direct TC?

Reactions: Alice G

MrGGx

• Feb 23, 2021
    There won’t really be a figure. If everyone on the scheme didn’t meet the criteria, then they it could be 0% and they would just recruit more direct TC (highly unlikely obviously, but you get the point).

Are you trying to look at this as a vac schemer or as someone wanting to apply for a direct TC?
    Hey, thanks for your reply

I’ll be a vac schemer. I was just roughly wondering what the situation is like at Slaughter and May. I’m a non-law so will be in my final year next year, and was just thinking ahead to the next cycle!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey, thanks for your reply

I’ll be a vac schemer. I was just roughly wondering what the situation is like at Slaughter and May. I’m a non-law so will be in my final year next year, and was just thinking ahead to the next cycle!
    They won't have a figure. They will make offers to people who are good enough, and won't for those who haven't met their benchmark.

I personally wouldn't get caught up in conversion figures, especially for a firm with so many training contracts. You just need to focus on your vacation scheme really, not the whys and wherefores of how many convert. You need to focus on making sure you do what you can to convert your scheme.

You have to remember that not all people who get offers will accept either. For a firm who takes on roughly 100 a year (like Slaughters), I would expect them to actually be converting about 55-70% of the interns, once you factor in offers and then declined offers.

But that doesn't really influence how they will decide whether to make you an offer or not.

MrGGx

• Feb 23, 2021
    They won't have a figure. They will make offers to people who are good enough, and won't for those who haven't met their benchmark.

I personally wouldn't get caught up in conversion figures, especially for a firm with so many training contracts. You just need to focus on your vacation scheme really, not the whys and wherefores of how many convert. You need to focus on making sure you do what you can to convert your scheme.

You have to remember that not all people who get offers will accept either. For a firm who takes on roughly 100 a year (like Slaughters), I would expect them to actually be converting about 55-70% of the interns, once you factor in offers and then declined offers.

But that doesn't really influence how they will decide whether to make you an offer or not.

Thanks. I really appreciate your reply, it helps a lot!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Thanks. I really appreciate your reply, it helps a lot!
    I agree with what @Jessica Booker has said above but just to add my two cents from a candidate perspective, I found that on my first ever vac scheme I was so concerned with converting the scheme to a TC that it actually impeded my performance. I was so nervous and concerned with excelling that I actually came across as lacking confidence in myself and it meant I didn't really squeeze as much enjoyment from the vac scheme as I could have. I think the best thing you can do is go with the mindset of just enjoying the scheme and the experience and see it as an opportunity to learn and to grow and get a better grasp of what the career is like. If you manage to convert it to a TC then that is truly wonderful but even if you don't, you will gain so much from the experience itself and that will propel you forwards both personally and professionally. I know this is easier said than done but I took this approach with my second scheme and I felt so much more confident in myself and just generally happier which I think came across positively.

I hope this helps you in some way and huge congrats on getting the vac, that in itself is an astounding achievement of which you should already be so proud.

MrGGx

• Feb 23, 2021
    I agree with what @Jessica Booker has said above but just to add my two cents from a candidate perspective, I found that on my first ever vac scheme I was so concerned with converting the scheme to a TC that it actually impeded my performance. I was so nervous and concerned with excelling that I actually came across as lacking confidence in myself and it meant I didn't really squeeze as much enjoyment from the vac scheme as I could have. I think the best thing you can do is go with the mindset of just enjoying the scheme and the experience and see it as an opportunity to learn and to grow and get a better grasp of what the career is like. If you manage to convert it to a TC then that is truly wonderful but even if you don't, you will gain so much from the experience itself and that will propel you forwards both personally and professionally. I know this is easier said than done but I took this approach with my second scheme and I felt so much more confident in myself and just generally happier which I think came across positively.

I hope this helps you in some way and huge congrats on getting the vac, that in itself is an astounding achievement of which you should already be so proud.
    Thanks, that's really good advice. I will certainly take what you have said on board for the scheme!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen and Alice G

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hello,

I was just wondering whether anybody has any idea of the conversion rate for summer internships at Slaughter and May?

Thanks!

A lot of the S&M conversion comes down to the final case study + TC interview. Assuming nothing has changed since I did the VS two years ago then the entirety of the vac itself will be un-assessed. If I could re-do the VS again, I would tell myself to not get too caught up in completing loads of tasks (as it ultimately doesn't affect the TC outcome) and actually just schedule more calls and catch-ups with various people. It'll give you more material/information to draw on for when you have to demonstrate why you want the TC there in the final interview. With regards to the conversion rates, as Jess has said it's really about whether you meet the benchmark or not. On my VS nearly everyone was made an offer, but on the VS after mine, very few people were given the offer. To echo Alice, focus on what you can control i.e your performance and not what you can't control, the numbers. Hope that gives you a little more context!

MrGGx

• Feb 23, 2021
    A lot of the S&M conversion comes down to the final case study + TC interview. Assuming nothing has changed since I did the VS two years ago then the entirety of the vac itself will be un-assessed. If I could re-do the VS again, I would tell myself to not get too caught up in completing loads of tasks (as it ultimately doesn't affect the TC outcome) and actually just schedule more calls and catch-ups with various people. It'll give you more material/information to draw on for when you have to demonstrate why you want the TC there in the final interview. With regards to the conversion rates, as Jess has said it's really about whether you meet the benchmark or not. On my VS nearly everyone was made an offer, but on the VS after mine, very few people were given the offer. To echo Alice, focus on what you can control i.e your performance and not what you can't control, the numbers. Hope that gives you a little more context!
    Thanks for the advice!

When you did yours how did the final case study and interview work? Was it directly after the scheme or effectively similar to fast tracking?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.