SC training contract and practice area choices to move to US firm

Matty900

Feb 9, 2019
I have a TC starting this year at an SC firm. I like the firm but I was hoping to start my career at a US firm.

Is it common to move as an NQ? 2PQE seems to be the 'time' to move.

I am not solely motivated by money, but my firm pays under 90,000 at NQ level while the US firms on my radar (Kirkland, Latham etc) pay 140,000+. It seems frustrating to work the same hours as those firms (e.g. Private Equity) for significantly less money, especially in London.

Also, larger US firms seem to have sophisticated non-transactional departments with better hours (e.g. Litigation, Competition, Financial Regulation etc). Is it possible to move as an NQ in these practice areas? Is the pay in line with US transactional lawyers and is partnership attainable in non-transactional teams?

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
Is it possible to move as an NQ in these practice areas?

Yes. But you will go through the recruitment process and it’s not a guarantee. Also, US firms usually hire NQs who have received an NQ offer from their firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Partnership will still be possible in non transactional teams (just have a look on their websites and on LinkedIn). But partnership is one a long way off (15+ years) and I think you need to think mode carefully about which department you want to qualify into first. You are not going to become a partner in a department you aren’t committed to.

Moving at NQ stage will be difficult but not impossible. It will depend on your experience during your TC, it will also depend on what the job market is like at the time (might be at an advantage that the talent pool of qualified lawyers will dip slightly due to deferred intakes). NQ roles tend to be more available in either first growing or not necessarily popular teams - so really PE which is established and popular.

My advice is look on LinkedIn for people who have your firm and US firms on their profile - you can filter by current employer. Look at the groups they are working in - this will give you an indication of what is more likely or not.

From those in my network, 2-3 years PQE is far more common as talent tends to move firms more at this stage, and do vacancies become available - also a lot of talent leaves at around 2-3 PQE, whether that’s leaving the city or leaving the profession full stop. That’s why 2-3 year PQE is much more common (and I suspect in your situation much more realistic).

LegalLily

Star Member
Feb 19, 2021
I have a TC starting this year at an SC firm. I like the firm but I was hoping to start my career at a US firm.

Is it common to move as an NQ? 2PQE seems to be the 'time' to move.

I am not solely motivated by money, but my firm pays under 90,000 at NQ level while the US firms on my radar (Kirkland, Latham etc) pay 140,000+. It seems frustrating to work the same hours as those firms (e.g. Private Equity) for significantly less money, especially in London.

Also, larger US firms seem to have sophisticated non-transactional departments with better hours (e.g. Litigation, Competition, Financial Regulation etc). Is it possible to move as an NQ in these practice areas? Is the pay in line with US transactional lawyers and is partnership attainable in non-transactional teams?
How do you know you’ll work the same hours at your SC that they are doing at Kirkland and Latham?

Romiras

Legendary Member
Associate
Apr 3, 2019
How do you know you’ll work the same hours at your SC that they are doing at Kirkland and Latham?
He doesn't and that's definitely not the case on the ground. It's a bit more of a nuanced discussion (practice group, career ambitions, clients you're working for, etc). The short answer though, is that they don't work the same hours all things being similar (not by a long shot).

Reactions: LegalLily

Sergiulix

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
Partnership will still be possible in non transactional teams (just have a look on their websites and on LinkedIn). But partnership is one a long way off (15+ years) and I think you need to think mode carefully about which department you want to qualify into first. You are not going to become a partner in a department you aren’t committed to.

Moving at NQ stage will be difficult but not impossible. It will depend on your experience during your TC, it will also depend on what the job market is like at the time (might be at an advantage that the talent pool of qualified lawyers will dip slightly due to deferred intakes). NQ roles tend to be more available in either first growing or not necessarily popular teams - so really PE which is established and popular.

My advice is look on LinkedIn for people who have your firm and US firms on their profile - you can filter by current employer. Look at the groups they are working in - this will give you an indication of what is more likely or not.

From those in my network, 2-3 years PQE is far more common as talent tends to move firms more at this stage, and do vacancies become available - also a lot of talent leaves at around 2-3 PQE, whether that’s leaving the city or leaving the profession full stop. That’s why 2-3 year PQE is much more common (and I suspect in your situation much more realistic).
I know that this is an old post, but out of curiousity, what do lawyers that leave the city/profession after 2-3 years PQE tend do to? Do most of them go in-house or another profession? Or is it that they spread out into different careers so there’s no generalisations that can be made? Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I know that this is an old post, but out of curiousity, what do lawyers that leave the city/profession after 2-3 years PQE tend do to? Do most of them go in-house or another profession? Or is it that they spread out into different careers so there’s no generalisations that can be made? Thanks!
The majority just move to different firms - that could include firms outside of the city. Then I would say in-house (although this is more likely at 5-7 years PQE), then other careers.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.