Scenario/Case Study

YJ

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
Hi! I have HSF and S&M interviews coming up.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had a disputes case study and if so, what was it about? I hear a lot about M&A but I know HSF is big on disputes so I just want to be prepared!

Thanks

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi! I have HSF and S&M interviews coming up.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had a disputes case study and if so, what was it about? I hear a lot about M&A but I know HSF is big on disputes so I just want to be prepared!

Thanks
Hi @YJ,

Congratulations on getting interviews at both Slaughters and HSF. 🚀 They are great firms and you have done exceptionally well to be progressed this far.

I completed interviews at both HSF and Slaughters. One of my scenario interviews at HSF was based on a construction dispute in the Middle East. That being said, I am not sure I can say much more in terms of detail in the interest of preserving the integrity of their recruitment process. I did not have a case study with either firm (when I interviewed with Slaughters it was only an article-based interview).

I am very happy to share some more general tips if that would help?

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Thank you!

I just had an email stating they have changed it to two scenarios and one competency! So any tips, especially for scenario, would be hugely appreciated!
Ah ok! That's interesting.

For the scenario-based interview, I included my biggest tips in this post.

I am very happy to come back to this with some more general interview tips if that would be helpful?

Reactions: Commerciallaw

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi @w.m!

Congratulations for getting through to the AC stage for HSF 🥳 🥳.

As I have mentioned elsewhere on the forum, HSF's interview was one of, if not the, best interviews I did when I was applying. That being said, it is an intimidating process. I empathise with how you are feeling especially about the scenario based interviews (as a non-law student myself too). I felt the same ahead of my interview as they are dynamic and therefore unpredictable(!).

Starting with a very abstract suggestion, try to embrace the uncertainty and trust in what you know. The nature of the interview is that you just cannot fully prepare for it because you can't know what the scenario will be. It is possible (and probably likely) that they will ask you something you do not know straight away. The interviewers ultimately want to test you and to identify where your limits are. Try not to be afraid of this possibility. In all likelihood this will happen. If you expect it, you will be calmer and will be less likely to panic.

If this does happen, I cannot stress enough, it is not a disaster. It happened to me (and to most others I know who were successful).

If it does happen to you, the challenge is having the confidence to admit to the interviewer that you do not immediately know the answer. Do not lie or try to fool your interviewer that you know more than you do. You will be caught out. Instead, you are likely to impress your interviewer if you are honest with them (and yourself) about the limits of your knowledge.

In my case, when this happened to me (more than once) I responded by saying that:

a. I would like further information/clarification on what they have asked, and/or;
b. I would walk through my initial thoughts on the issue in a logical, clear way, to see if I was on the right track.

Here are some more practical/tangible suggestions too:

1. Be familiar with basic legal terms.

If you have Jake Schogger's Training Contract Handbook, I would advise that you through the section containing details on indemnities and warranties etc. It is important to be familiar with the different ways that companies can raise finance (i.e., equity/asset/debt finance). You do not need to be an expert, but be familiar. If you do not have this book, it also isn't a disaster(!).

I can see that you are a premium member, so you will have access to this post by Neville which provides a fantastic breakdown of basic legal terminology.

2. Have a pen and paper to hand.

The Partner interviewing you will give you a breakdown of the scenario around which the interview will be based. This will take about five minutes.

Before they start, ask them if they would mind you taking notes on what they are about to tell you (they won't but it is polite).

When they have finished, ask if you can read back a summary of the fact pattern they have just outlined to ensure you have understood correctly.

This:
a. shows that you have listened and are capable of retaining information (and summarising it succinctly), and
b. provides certainty that you are starting on the right track.

3. Check out this post which compiles a mixture of my biggest tips from my experience

Some of these tips will not apply as this is the day before and ultimately you will not have time to implement them. Do not panic that you can't. Try your best to incorporate what you can.

Ultimately, HSF have seen something in YOU and YOUR application that persuaded them that you were worth interviewing. Take confidence from that. Remember, you are being interviewed for a reason. You are more than capable of being successful in this interview.

I really hope it goes your way. Please do keep me updated with how you find it!

I am also happy to answer any follow-ups or questions/clarifications you have 🚀

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi, I also have an interview coming up with S&M. Would appreciate any tips, especially on about how to prepare for the article discussion
Hi @vikbogat,

Apologies I am just seeing your message!

How did the interview go? I assume that you will have had your Slaughters interview already.

However, just in case you have not yet, here is a link to a post you might find helpful

Reactions: vikbogat

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.