Self-funded PGDL, got 0.75 points off a distinction. Am I screwed?

hungry_for_TC

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 2, 2021
I anticipate some comments saying I should be proud of myself for getting a 69.25 on the PDGL, but I feel like that's a bit condescending given that so many people get distinctions. I know for a fact that I was undergoing some personal circumstances (like facing a potential eviction notice) whilst taking exams that bumped my mark, but getting 69 on Company Law when I'm applying to corporate law firms really makes me feel like I should consider something else. I feel really quite depressed about my marks because I already felt self-conscious for self-funding, not having a TC, and now having to apply to TCs with this stain on my history. I feel like I am going to waste my time applying to some firms due to my PGDL score. This and I won't be able to go back to the UK for about 5 months because I'm visiting family in another region of the world, so it's not like I can get UK job experience ASAP to make up for it. I feel really anxious, unable to sleep, really disappointed, and like I'm past my prime.. I know I'm 24 and people can get TCs when they're 30 or 40 -- I just feel really bummed and need some advice as to whether or not I need to rejig my expectations. Thanks everyone in advance for reading this word vomit, really needed to get it out of my chest <3

lonelycruise

Esteemed Member
Oct 2, 2023
From my understanding, firms don't really care about how well you do in your PGDL, as long as you pass. Admittedly, some firms specify a certain grade for TC-holders but it's not that common. Needless to say, 69.25 is brilliant, and most firms will be much more invested in your undergraduate marks and work experience. The PGDL is quite a foreign -- and poorly designed -- style of assessment for most candidates. Graduate recruitment recognise this, hence the expectation of a mere pass for most training contracts.

Also, most don't get a distinction. I know very few friends who got a distinction in their PGDL, yet they're thriving in their training contracts (at Weil, Milbank etc). Easier said than done, but I really wouldn't worry about your PGDL grades. Grad rec certainly won't care that you didn't get a distinction.

Edit: Note, self-funding means nothing. It would be somewhat challenging if recruitment surreptitiously penalised someone for showing genuine commitment to the study of law. There's also no subtext that, because you're self-funding, you've failed to get a TC in previous cycles -- many realise an interest in the law quite late in life.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Absolutely not - a commendation is a very replaceable score in the GDL.

I am not sure where you have got the idea that so many people get distinctions in the GDL - obviously it’s subjective as to what you think many is, but going by records I have seen it is around 20% of people who take the GDL.

Plus it’s going to be obvious from your module grades that you were an exceptional high commendation. Firms are not going to obsess over the overall mark, especially given it’s the GDL, but even more so in your case because it is so high.

A 69 in company law is high - the idea you should give up because of this grade, is quite honestly absurd in my opinion (sorry for the bluntness). I think you a in a doom spiral thinking about this, and are not looking at this situation with balance.

You have got to shift this mindset.

It is not a stain - they are a set of very strong academic results that all firms will be impressed by.

I’ve seen thousands of people with lower GDL scores than you thrive in their legal careers.

I’ve seen hundreds of people secure TCs with lower grades than you if they applied after completing their GDL.

And 24 is not “past your prime”.

The only thing you need to rejig here is your mindset.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.