Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I got interviewed and rejected for the Shearman Winter VS in 2017. As I know the same guy is still running it, I'm happy to give pointers about what I remember from my application and interview if anyone is interested.

Elizabeth@1999

Feb 6, 2019
    I just got rejected from the Shearman and Sterling Winter VS because they are have "filled all their places", but they said they were impressed with my application and to apply to Spring/ Summer. Quite surprised to get this type of thing from a firm who said they were not recruiting on a rolling basis... I didn't think I needed to be quick so applied a week before the deadline. Anyone else a bit disappointed with this whole rolling/ not rolling confusion with this firm?

FutureCity

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Dec 23, 2018
    I just got rejected from the Shearman and Sterling Winter VS because they are have "filled all their places", but they said they were impressed with my application and to apply to Spring/ Summer. Quite surprised to get this type of thing from a firm who said they were not recruiting on a rolling basis... I didn't think I needed to be quick so applied a week before the deadline. Anyone else a bit disappointed with this whole rolling/ not rolling confusion with this firm?

I received the same just now. The rolling/nonrolling element was confusing and I would have certainly applied for summer rather than winter had I known. Given this opportunity they have provided to reapply, I feel if you (and I hopefully) improve your application, then you will certainly be considered for summer/spring.

Slightly disappointed but it’s life.

Reactions: Elizabeth@1999

Faye

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 3, 2018

Received the same email - applied on the deadline with the assumption that my application wouldn't be disadvantaged!

I wonder if they've allowed everyone to apply again?

Reactions: Elizabeth@1999

FutureCity

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Dec 23, 2018
    Received the same email - applied on the deadline with the assumption that my application wouldn't be disadvantaged!

I wonder if they've allowed everyone to apply again?

That is the question. So far many have received a similar email so I wonder how they “strongly considered” all of us. I also applied on the deadline.

Reactions: Faye

gricole

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    I also received a rejection but mine stated:

"We were impressed with your application and would encourage you to apply for a scheme in the next recruitment year (starting from September 2020) should you wish to consider us in the future."

Do you think that is generic? Why would they encourage me to apply for next year rather than spring/summer?

Elizabeth@1999

Feb 6, 2019
    I also received a rejection but mine stated:

"We were impressed with your application and would encourage you to apply for a scheme in the next recruitment year (starting from September 2020) should you wish to consider us in the future."

Do you think that is generic? Why would they encourage me to apply for next year rather than spring/summer?

Not sure what stage you're at but maybe they encouraged finalists to apply to another one this year and others to next year or something? Otherwise seems really weird.

FutureCity

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Dec 23, 2018
    I don't think being a graduate does not affect their decision. I was told I can reapply in Spring/Summer and I am not a graduate.

Speculations don't account for anything and just stress us further.

A98

Star Member
    Jun 17, 2019
    After waiting a month, I'm pleased to say I've been offered a place :) But they offered me the spring one and I asked them why since I was one of the first ones they interviewed. They said that they want the schemes to be made of people with mix skills/background. I may be wrong, but based on my feedback, it seems like the standards might be slightly higher for the winter. I'd recommend applying for the spring/summer anyway if they've said so!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    After waiting a month, I'm pleased to say I've been offered a place :) But they offered me the spring one and I asked them why since I was one of the first ones they interviewed. They said that they want the schemes to be made of people with mix skills/background. I may be wrong, but based on my feedback, it seems like the standards might be slightly higher for the winter. I'd recommend applying for the spring/summer anyway if they've said so!
    Huge congrats! Best of luck for it - make sure you enjoy this :D

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.