Should I be using Linkedin more? (Law student)

lawstudent12

Dec 28, 2021
I am a second-year law student and currently making applications to law firms. I have noticed that a lot of students in my year are always posting on Linkedin after events (even open days), tagging recruiters and summarising the events.

I don't really like the app and personally find it sooooo cringey exaggerating about every little thing. But, I also want to do whatever is necessary in order to increase my chances post-university (i.e. TCs and other employment opportunities). So, should I do what everyone else seems to be doing? Will it have a positive or negative effect?

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 26, 2021
You can have a LinkedIn profile if you like, however I wouldn't personally worry too much about posting about law firm events / tagging recruiters. I honestly don't think it makes any difference. Plenty of people I know got TCs without being active on LinkedIn, sometimes not even having a profile at all.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am a second-year law student and currently making applications to law firms. I have noticed that a lot of students in my year are always posting on Linkedin after events (even open days), tagging recruiters and summarising the events.

I don't really like the app and personally find it sooooo cringey exaggerating about every little thing. But, I also want to do whatever is necessary in order to increase my chances post-university (i.e. TCs and other employment opportunities). So, should I do what everyone else seems to be doing? Will it have a positive or negative effect?
There is no need to do this. I don’t think it will increase your chances of securing something by posting that you have attended an open day or gone to an event. What can help though is adding that information to your profile.

What LinkedIn is good for is connecting with people and finding out information about firms you are considering though - it’s a useful tool there and so I recommend using it for that (and in small doses due to all the humble bragging - which I am too guilty of).

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021

Making LinkedIn posts won't really help your TC chances because they're not a part of the assessment, although you may find it slightly more beneficial if you want paralegal opportunities because they can increase your visibility, Nonetheless, I think the focus should be on having an up to date, detailed profile with an accurate profile description. Also, adjust your preferences if you're actively looking for work so recruiters know to contact you.

Reactions: Alison C and lawstudent12

lawstudent12

Dec 28, 2021
There is no need to do this. I don’t think it will increase your chances of securing something by posting that you have attended an open day or gone to an event. What can help though is adding that information to your profile.

What LinkedIn is good for is connecting with people and finding out information about firms you are considering though - it’s a useful tool there and so I recommend using it for that (and in small doses due to all the humble bragging - which I am too guilty of).
Hi Jessica, thank you taking the time to share this.

I will definitely add the information if you think it will help. With regards to tagging recruiters and thanking them for opportunities - would it be wrong to say that by tagging recruiters, candidates are building rapport and (perhaps even subconsciously) when recruiters look through applications, their names might stand out? Am I wrong in making this assumption?

With regards to connecting with lawyers post-events - I attended an event and really wanted to get know more about some of the work the lawyers at the firm do. However, I have left connecting with them a few weeks too late. Would it come across as awkward if I connected now?

lawstudent12

Dec 28, 2021
Making LinkedIn posts won't really help your TC chances because they're not a part of the assessment, although you may find it slightly more beneficial if you want paralegal opportunities because they can increase your visibility, Nonetheless, I think the focus should be on having an up to date, detailed profile with an accurate profile description. Also, adjust your preferences if you're actively looking for work so recruiters know to contact you.
When I look at some of the profiles, some lawyers at top firms just have the institution they graduated from and the firm they work at. I personally quite like that layout because it's neat, succinct and professional. I am guilty of thinking that some of the profiles look a little 'desperate' (no judgement though - just how they come across) because they include every little thing.

I don't know how much to include on my profile either - i.e. do student society positions count? Should they be under Work Experience section or under Education? What about the following:
- Prizes
- Networking events attended (that didn't require an application/ non-competitive)
- Virtual events

@Jessica Booker (tagging to ask if I could have your opinion on this also, please. Would really appreciate it :) )

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, thank you taking the time to share this.

I will definitely add the information if you think it will help. With regards to tagging recruiters and thanking them for opportunities - would it be wrong to say that by tagging recruiters, candidates are building rapport and (perhaps even subconsciously) when recruiters look through applications, their names might stand out? Am I wrong in making this assumption?

With regards to connecting with lawyers post-events - I attended an event and really wanted to get know more about some of the work the lawyers at the firm do. However, I have left connecting with them a few weeks too late. Would it come across as awkward if I connected now?
Attending the event will be sufficient for the candidate's name to be in their mind - they don't have to be tagged on LinkedIn for that to be the case.

You don't build rapport with recruiters by tagging them on LinkedIn. You build rapport through your interactions with them outside of LinkedIn.

Its not an issue to connect with people now. Three weeks will feel like three days to most lawyers

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.