International student wanting to work in London

FutureTS13

Star Member
  • Dec 5, 2023
    Hello everyone!

I'm an international student currently pursuing an undergraduate law degree at a university outside the UK. My program covers a broad spectrum, including comparative law (encompassing both civil and common law jurisdictions), European law, and international law. My aspiration is to work in a law firm in London.

I understand the challenges I face as an international student who hasn't studied in the UK and being a good, though not "exceptional", student grade-wise. Despite this, I have some notable extracurricular activities and work experience, including a role as a consultant in my university's legal clinic, which I believe adds value to my profile.

This year, I've begun applying to training contracts at various law firms. However, I'm aware that my chances might be limited due to my background. The most feasible path seems to be securing a training contract that includes sponsorship, considering the current visa requirements.

I'm keen to explore all possible avenues to work in the UK and would greatly appreciate any advice or insights you might have. Are there alternative options I should consider if securing a training contract doesn't work out?

Additionally, I'm very interested in hearing from or about international students who, without prior studies in the UK, managed to secure a training contract. It would be especially encouraging to learn about those who, like me, aren't necessarily top-ranking students but have still succeeded in this endeavor.

Thank you so much for your time and any guidance you can offer!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.