Hannah.00

Aug 20, 2023
I have just received my alevel results and I have gotten ABC. I am very disappointed with myself as I was predicted A*A*A. I went through clearing to university of Leicester but now Im rethinking my choice. Would I be able to do a gap year even though I have been confirmed at Leicester? How would I sort out student finance? Would it be best for me to improve my grades and apply to a Russel group uni? And which law firms accept alevel resits?

• 🤝
Reactions: I’m_Batman

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    I have just received my alevel results and I have gotten ABC. I am very disappointed with myself as I was predicted A*A*A. I went through clearing to university of Leicester but now Im rethinking my choice. Would I be able to do a gap year even though I have been confirmed at Leicester? How would I sort out student finance? Would it be best for me to improve my grades and apply to a Russel group uni? And which law firms accept alevel resits?
    Hey, Hannah!

Firstly, congratulations on your grades. I'm sorry that you feel disappointed in yourself but ABC are fantastic grades and there is no reason, with those grades, to conclude the worst. It's completely understandable to feel disappointed given the gap between your predicted and actual grades.
    However, it's crucial to remember that A-Level results are just one part of your academic journey. ABC and a First-Class/High 2:1 would be formidable for any law firm application. To raise something important, do contact the universities you are considering to reapply to if you retake your A Levels because they might have an adverse feeling towards retakes and be unaccommodating of this. You also need to list retakes on your law firm applications.

Additionally, there are firms (an ever increasing number) that do not consider A Levels - Squire Patton Boggs, BCLP, DWF - seek out a more complete list but your options are not limited...

Practically speaking, a Russell Group university would not mean very much for an undergraduate course of study given RG universities are renowned because of their research funding (which helps PhD students..). It is more important that you are somewhere you will work hard, feel at home, have opportunities to gain experience, and leave with good grades and skills. Think carefully before taking a gap year because you would need to do something worthwhile (travelling? working? retaking exams?) - This might be problematic given the stress of A-Levels, especially if you're disappointed with your grades, can take a toll on your mental well-being. Those I knew who needed another year, did so without their friends and peers. It can be lonely and isolating and sounds unnecessary.

Practically speaking though, if you did want to take a gap year it would be as simple as getting in touch with Leicester.

Gap Year After Acceptance​

1. Contact Leicester University: The first thing to do is to get in touch with the University of Leicester to inquire about the possibility of deferring your admission for a year. Policies differ between universities, but it's often possible.
    2. Clearing: Since you got in through Clearing, the university may have specific policies regarding deferment. Make sure to confirm these details with them.

Student Finance​

1. Deferring Finance: If you've already applied for student finance, you'll need to let them know that you're deferring a year. The process is usually quite straightforward and can be done by contacting the student finance organization.
    2. Finance for Retakes: If you're considering retaking your A-Levels, you'll also want to consider the financial implications. You may need to pay for the exams and possibly for additional tuition.

Retaking A-Levels and Russell Group Universities​

1. Upgrading Grades: Improving your A-Level grades could potentially open doors for you at higher-ranked universities, including those in the Russell Group.
    2. Consult Universities: Before you make this decision, consult the specific universities you're interested in to understand their policies on A-Level retakes. Some universities are less welcoming to retaken grades, so it's best to confirm.

Law Firms and A-Level Resits​

1. Varying Policies: Law firms have different policies regarding A-Level retakes. Some may not consider A-Level grades at all, focusing instead on university performance and other criteria.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.