Should I enter my university courses I dropped out of in the education section?

Parsorandini

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Oct 8, 2021
Hi all,

I dropped out of university undergraduate degrees after the first year twice. The first time was due to disliking the course and, in all honesty, not being ready for university, and the second time was because of a mental health breakdown.

As the title says, should i disclose these on vac scheme application forms? Last year I did not, but I am wondering if it is something I have to do? I have now completed an undergraduate degree so felt that completed the undergraduate section and that the previous attempts were not relevant but am worried I am somehow being disingenuous. There is also the fact that it would explain the gaps in my work history. Any advice on what to do please? :)

Many thanks in advance!

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

I dropped out of university undergraduate degrees after the first year twice. The first time was due to disliking the course and, in all honesty, not being ready for university, and the second time was because of a mental health breakdown.

As the title says, should i disclose these on vac scheme application forms? Last year I did not, but I am wondering if it is something I have to do? I have now completed an undergraduate degree so felt that completed the undergraduate section and that the previous attempts were not relevant but am worried I am somehow being disingenuous. There is also the fact that it would explain the gaps in my work history. Any advice on what to do please? :)

Many thanks in advance!
There will be a question as to what you did with the time between completing your college studies and starting your degree course, especially if this is two years, and so if the only other alternative is to leave significant gaps in your application, it will be better to disclose this. It is tricky though, as in all honesty this is not going to be a great thing to evidence on your application.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi all,

Many thanks in advance!
Hey @Parsorandini I totally agree with @Jessica Booker, it might go against you in the application stage at least, however I would disclose, strongly emphasising the mental health issues you went through as those are a totally valid reason. It might also be seen as experiences that you learned from and that made you a better person and consequently a better candidate since you have graduated now successfully so I would make a case for yourself highlighting this aspect! I am sure everything will work and good luck with the application cycle!

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
I don't have the authority or experience of the others who have replied - but I do not think you have to disclose explicitly what happened. You could always keep it constructively ambiguous without overtly being deceptive and say 'I initially began X course, but due to various factors including some severe health issues, I took some time out before starting my [main degree] in Y'. This may come across better and keep focus on your 'main' degree which hopefully has gone better for you. I would also be inclined to not mention it at all on application forms if it is not queried, but if you are pressed you would obviously have to be transparent.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.