Should I mention an upcoming VS in a TC app?

MJ

Standard Member
Jul 14, 2019
Hi All,

I’m awaiting a response on a VS after completing an AC back in January, and am also in the process of applying for TCs at other firms. If accepted onto the VS, is it advisable I mention this specifically in the work history section of a TC app, e.g. “Incoming Summer Vacation Scheme at X “. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Iqra

Star Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 2, 2020
    Personally wouldn't do this, no. The work history section is for you to highlight what you've already done (eg employment, work placements) and if you're lacking work experience, then you can include open days and extracurricular activities.

• Dislike
    Reactions: Vesania

OH

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 24, 2018
    Just a different opinion, I've done this for three training contract apps I did recently and did so because every-time I've mentioned my upcoming vacation schemes to graduate recruitment or during interviews, it's gone down very well. For example, one partner contacted me informally after an interview where I mentioned them to hear more/give advice on what he thought about the others.

I have a section 'Vacation Scheme Offers' with a blurb saying 'offered _ schemes and accepted upcoming places at _ with expected seats in _'. Also I personally think upcoming experience, that is 100% confirmed and may even happen before the Direct TC app cycle ends, is still experience. Only my anecdotal thoughts, but what harm could it do is my view?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    You should include it in the vast majority of cases.

It doesn’t have to be in a work experience section though, if the application has an “extra information” section, then that’s an ideal place to put it.

I wouldn’t advise listing job offers you have turned down though.

Iqra

Star Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 2, 2020
    That’s interesting - never thought of it like that before. Well in that case, OP should list the incoming offers they’ve accepted. ☺️

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.