Signed bank statement for Skadden VS

LawyerInMaking

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 20, 2023
Hi all
I have run into a peculiar (potential) problem - if I am lucky and Skadden offers a VS , they want proof of residence within 3 days of offer. As an international student, I don't have DL/Mortgage proof/Credit card proof/Council tax (its free as a student), Utility bill (its in my flatmate's name). The only thing I have is an online santander bank statement and they wont sign and stamp to certify ! Skadden's requirement is that they want the online bank statement signed and stamped.

Any idea how to go around this problem ? All this is irrelevant ofcourse if I get a PFO !
Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all
I have run into a peculiar (potential) problem - if I am lucky and Skadden offers a VS , they want proof of residence within 3 days of offer. As an international student, I don't have DL/Mortgage proof/Credit card proof/Council tax (its free as a student), Utility bill (its in my flatmate's name). The only thing I have is an online santander bank statement and they wont sign and stamp to certify ! Skadden's requirement is that they want the online bank statement signed and stamped.

Any idea how to go around this problem ? All this is irrelevant ofcourse if I get a PFO !
Thank you.
Do you have your rental agreement? Providing that and your bank statement might be sufficient. It won’t be the first time the firm has had an issue like this so I am sure they will be able to advise at the point you get an offer if you are unable to provide the documents they need. I am sure they’d also be able to extend the deadline if needed too.

I would also go in branch to your bank and see if they can provide this service - if you are going via their contact centre they are likely to say no, but a branch might be able to provide the service you need.

Reactions: AlexJ and Jaysen

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    Hi all

Thank you.
    All banks provide you with signed and stamped bank statement - ask for an account maintenance letter from any branch of your bank. hopefully you should be fine!

Reactions: Jaysen

LawyerInMaking

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 20, 2023
    Do you have your rental agreement? Providing that and your bank statement might be sufficient. It won’t be the first time the firm has had an issue like this so I am sure they will be able to advise at the point you get an offer if you are unable to provide the documents they need. I am sure they’d also be able to extend the deadline if needed too.

I would also go in branch to your bank and see if they can provide this service - if you are going via their contact centre they are likely to say no, but a branch might be able to provide the service you need.
    Thank you, Jessica. Yes, thankfully rental agreement is in my name. Even though it doesn't figure in Skadden's list of documents, I am requesting them to accept it if I get the VS. Yes, I will visit the bank branch even though friends have warned me to expect a PFO :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.