lawstudent523

Premium Member
Aug 19, 2023
Hi there,

Has anyone used Job Test Prep to prepare for Vac Scheme SJTs? My concern is that they are not law focused, so might not mirror a law SJT. Is this the case?

On that note, are there any other resources to practice SJTs?

Thank you!!

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
AssessmentDay have a practise one too

I would note however, there is no 'correct' answers to SJTs - it depends on how the firm structures them.

I did the practise one on AssessmentDay and frankly found some of the 'correct' answers absurd. I recall one was a situation where you were meant to be a HR assistant, and an unsuccessful candidate, who had a longer tenure than the successful candidate but less gravitas, had come in to complain. There were about 5 responses to rank from most to least effective, but one of them was 'Agree with him and let him have a moan to get it out of his system'. I ranked this as least effective, however it was actually considered 'more effective' than a response which was 'Explain to him that the other candidate had more gravitas and that tenure alone was not enough'.
The reasoning they gave was that the other respond 'risked alienating a senior staff member' but 'letting him moan' would make him 'feel listened to'?!.

Haha some of them just seem a bit nuts, but they're very subjective. Good to get used to the format but no correct answers. I think generally though law firms want to see initiative - something I think I messed up on in an SJT was if there is a question like 'You've been asked to do X, but you don't know how to do X' - you might be tempted to pick a response like 'ask a senior colleague for help / ask a partner to clarify' - in reality you probably would do this, but if there is a response like 'do my own research first and make an attempt' - pick this one.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.