Skadden VC application - how to handle questions geared toward university graduates?

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
Hi all,

Currently in the process of completing a VC application for Skadden. The three questions are relatively short (250 word count) and they are:

1. Please give details of any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements that will support your application.
2. Please give details of any interests/hobbies you have outside of university/work.
3. Why are you applying for a training contract at Skadden and why do you believe you are suited to the firm?

I know what to say for #3 and feel pretty comfortable with this, however being honest I am a little uncertain about the first two. The first one seems geared toward students to talk about uni societies, etc. I graduated six years ago so I'm not sure if its as relevant for me to speak about that part of my life. I was thinking I could speak about some professional achievements/projects I have worked on, but risk repeating some of what I wrote in the work history section. I am also unsure what exactly they are looking for in #2 but I might be overthinking it. I have a fairly intense corporate career as it is the past few years, and have not had a whole lot of free time to pursue other achievements in sports, 'extracurriculars' etc. I have some from when I was younger but most of my 'interests' now are probably fairly benign and centre around the usual gym / travel / cooking (I actually do enjoy all of these things to a degree of depth and could talk about that - but I'm worried it'll come off a bit naff?).

Anyone have any insight on if this is more geared toward uni students and I'm best off referencing my uni days or better off speaking about more relevant/present things?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

Currently in the process of completing a VC application for Skadden. The three questions are relatively short (250 word count) and they are:

1. Please give details of any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements that will support your application.
2. Please give details of any interests/hobbies you have outside of university/work.
3. Why are you applying for a training contract at Skadden and why do you believe you are suited to the firm?

I know what to say for #3 and feel pretty comfortable with this, however being honest I am a little uncertain about the first two. The first one seems geared toward students to talk about uni societies, etc. I graduated six years ago so I'm not sure if its as relevant for me to speak about that part of my life. I was thinking I could speak about some professional achievements/projects I have worked on, but risk repeating some of what I wrote in the work history section. I am also unsure what exactly they are looking for in #2 but I might be overthinking it. I have a fairly intense corporate career as it is the past few years, and have not had a whole lot of free time to pursue other achievements in sports, 'extracurriculars' etc. I have some from when I was younger but most of my 'interests' now are probably fairly benign and centre around the usual gym / travel / cooking (I actually do enjoy all of these things to a degree of depth and could talk about that - but I'm worried it'll come off a bit naff?).

Anyone have any insight on if this is more geared toward uni students and I'm best off referencing my uni days or better off speaking about more relevant/present things?

Thanks!
You can use examples from your time at university. They basically want to see you kept yourself busy and sought responsibilities/commitments, and they know that does become more difficult once you are working (compared to uni).

Extracurriculars can run into the work place though. For instance, people sometimes are involved in things outside of their contracted job (CSR initiatives, fundraising, being part of employee network groups, representing the organisation internally/externally). Some people may also be involved in their local community - and if so that can be referenced as well.

With your hobbies and interests, one of the things I try to suggest focusing on so what you are learning - rather than hobbies you just do quite passively, are there any that you are dedicating learning to so to get better at it? Or are there any hobbies that other people rely on you for? You can still reference things like cooking/travel/gym, but just try to frame it more as to what you gain from those hobbies (even if it’s just the ability to chill out).

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi all,

Thanks!
I think you can definitely talk about cooking and travelling and what these bring to your life and how you pursue them. They show a bit of your personality and that's always a sure-shot way to distinguish your application! But as Jess said, mentioning these alongside your extracurriculars at work (if I can call them that!) would help make a more robust answer.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.