Slaughter and May- first year open day cover letter

BWSM201

Jan 2, 2019
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could provide some feedback for a cover letter I have drafted for an open day at Slaughters. This is the first personal statement type thing I've done (apart from UCAS) so bare with me if the structure is off!

'

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    A few quick comments:
    • In your second paragraph, you do a good job talking about your legal experiences, but I'm not entirely clear on why you are interested in commercial law?
    • The start of your third paragraph uses the same phrasing as my A&O application. Please change this!
    • Good use of your careers dinner to justify your interest in Slaughters and I like the explanation of your interest in M&A.
    • You said M&A "seems to be a lot more technical/ model intensive". Can you clarify what you mean by this? Also, I'd avoid using a forward slash in your application.
    • Remember your apostrophes. It's "firm's" rather than "firms".
    • I'd cut the first part of your last sentence: "I really appreciate you taking the time to read this".

BWSM201

Jan 2, 2019
    A few quick comments:
    • In your second paragraph, you do a good job talking about your legal experiences, but I'm not entirely clear on why you are interested in commercial law?
    • The start of your third paragraph uses the same phrasing as my A&O application. Please change this!
    • Good use of your careers dinner to justify your interest in Slaughters and I like the explanation of your interest in M&A.
    • You said M&A "seems to be a lot more technical/ model intensive". Can you clarify what you mean by this? Also, I'd avoid using a forward slash in your application.
    • Remember your apostrophes. It's "firm's" rather than "firms".
    • I'd cut the first part of your last sentence: "I really appreciate you taking the time to read this".

Thank you Jaysen, really appreciate the help! I'll get onto changing it ASAP.

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.