Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018

CF1234

Star Member
Dec 15, 2020
hey! I had an interview with them in December and got rejected (absolutely fine about it, as it was my first interview and I knew I'd let myself down)

I'd say the main thing to prepare is to know yourself inside out. Know every reason why you want to be a commercial lawyer, why you want to do law over any other profession and why you are applying to S+M.

Also, be prepared to justify why you didn't do so well in a module, why you chose your university, or why you choose another degree over law.

If you need any more tips message me :)

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi folks,
Just received an invite to interview from Slaughter and May. This is my first in-person interview. Does anyone have any advice?
Many thanks.
Hi @G P,

This is a huge achievement. Well done! 🍾

If you have not already, take a look through this thread and the various tips on here. @Alice G put up some great links, for example.

From my experience, the Slaughters interviewing process is intense, but (genuinely) enjoyable. Slaughters want to know why them as opposed to other firms and they require very clear reasoning (which they will attempt to unpick) about why you wish to become a commercial lawyer (think about similar professions too and know why not them!).

Also, do not be afraid to air some interesting ideas too. From my feedback they seemed to like curious-minded people who thought through their answers in a considered way.

Really looking forward to hearing how it goes. I wish you the very best of luck.

It goes without saying that you should be proud of yourself for getting invited to interview so make the most of it! We are rooting for you!

• 🏆
Reactions: G P and AvniD

G P

Star Member
Jul 13, 2020
Hi @G P,

This is a huge achievement. Well done! 🍾

If you have not already, take a look through this thread and the various tips on here. @Alice G put up some great links, for example.

From my experience, the Slaughters interviewing process is intense, but (genuinely) enjoyable. Slaughters want to know why them as opposed to other firms and they require very clear reasoning (which they will attempt to unpick) about why you wish to become a commercial lawyer (think about similar professions too and know why not them!).

Also, do not be afraid to air some interesting ideas too. From my feedback they seemed to like curious-minded people who thought through their answers in a considered way.

Really looking forward to hearing how it goes. I wish you the very best of luck.

It goes without saying that you should be proud of yourself for getting invited to interview so make the most of it! We are rooting for you!
Thank you for your advice and kind words, I will try my best @George Maxwell ! :)

Reactions: George Maxwell

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.