Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am currently writing up some content on the SQE which I hope to have with you in stages over the next couple of months

- Background to the SQE
- Options for preparing for the SQE
- SQE assessments
- Qualifying work experience
- Eligibility and which route to take
- Information for International qualified lawyers

I am keen to get anyone’s thoughts on other general themes I might be missing. I am not considering very specific/individual questions at this stage, this is just to build out more general information and content our members might find useful. We suspect that individual questions can be responded to in the forums once we have built out and posted this content.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Jess

Reactions: Jaysen

Alison C

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, this will be really insightful I am sure. I wonder if you can consider including:
    - a bit of history on the CPE--> GDL--> SQE and what they are hoping to achieve (I know it's supposedly about diversity but the jury really is out)
    - any insight into how its success will be monitored, especially in the first few years (eg, are the questions increasingly difficult on the online test if you get them right; will they have a set percentage of people passing; how will the test be adapted over time?)
    - any example q's if these have been made available
    - any top tips from people in professions where this type of assessment is already in operation
    - any information on how the workplace experience is assessed (I'm wondering if you will be at a disadvantage if, for example, you end up in a role where you and your boss don't see eye to eye; also how you need to ensure that your work really does fit the criteria)

TIA... :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, this will be really insightful I am sure. I wonder if you can consider including:
    - a bit of history on the CPE--> GDL--> SQE and what they are hoping to achieve (I know it's supposedly about diversity but the jury really is out)
    - any insight into how its success will be monitored, especially in the first few years (eg, are the questions increasingly difficult on the online test if you get them right; will they have a set percentage of people passing; how will the test be adapted over time?)
    - any example q's if these have been made available
    - any top tips from people in professions where this type of assessment is already in operation
    - any information on how the workplace experience is assessed (I'm wondering if you will be at a disadvantage if, for example, you end up in a role where you and your boss don't see eye to eye; also how you need to ensure that your work really does fit the criteria)

TIA... :)
    Thank you!

In short though, your qualifying working experience is not assessed or really regulated in anyway, so making sure it fits the criteria is this very loose concept.

• Wow
    Reactions: Alison C

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    For a lot of people this summer they have to decide whether to do the LPC this Autumn or not so something about the pros and cons eg I think if you do the LPC, then cannot obtan a TC you can then do SQE2 without sitting SQE1 (which I think I read on here but there does not seem to be a lot of information about)

I think I saw that UoL had a 40 week full time course preparing for SQE1 and 2 - the merits of doing both in one year particularly for non law grads or disadvantages might be useful.

Also something about when most big firms are moving over to SQE and also who has to do SQE and when as the dates can be confusing for students.

Emilia Hdsn.

• Aug 3, 2021
    Hi Jess this is such a great idea! I just wanted to suggest maybe "information for international students" is better than international qualified lawyers because international students that are not qualified would be interested in it. And at the end of the day, the international qualified lawyers will be students as well. What do you think?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jess this is such a great idea! I just wanted to suggest maybe "information for international students" is better than international qualified lawyers because international students that are not qualified would be interested in it. And at the end of the day, the international qualified lawyers will be students as well. What do you think?
    The information for international students won’t really be different than that for domestic students. The system is different though if you are qualified elsewhere, which is why we have split it out this way.

Reactions: Emilia Hdsn.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.