SQE - post graduate visa (international student)

legallybrunette8

Esteemed Member
Sep 9, 2023
Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a tricky situation and I've just been feeling a lil more stressed ever since those new visa salary reqs got released. Although it probably won't affect me as I've heard that I'll be qualified as a "new entrant", I still have some questions and probably need confirmation/reassurance

1. I'm currently in my final year studying the LLB, but I've chosen to do my LLM (SQE1+2) after I graduate, which gives me one more year to potentially secure vac schemes/TCs/work experience. Assuming I take the graduate visa after my LLM, will I be able to apply for paralegal roles and work full time in a firm as would any UK national? Would there be any restrictions or things I would have to look out for?

2. If I do work for 2 years as a paralegal, would that make me eligible to qualify as a solicitor in the UK? How would I go about applying to firms after I've had this "qualified" status?

3. If however, I do not secure anything, I'm struggling to see what I can do. I really do want to work in the UK once I'm qualified, but I feel like there's this constant barrier of firms having to be approved by the HO to sponsor work visas. Is there anywhere I can check that will help me find approved firms?

Sorry if this is so confusing but I'd appreciate anyone's help and advice! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
1) While on a student visa, you will be restricted to working 20 hours a week during term time. For LLMs, your term time can sometimes include either briefer or fewer periods of leave compared to an undergraduate course. If you subsequently take up a graduate visa, there will be no restrictions apart from the two years. You can work any job during the visa's length and work for multiple employers.

2) Possibly - a paralegal role may meet the QWE requirements, but they often do not. The firm has the right to decline signing off your paralegal experience if they do not think it meets the QWE's requirements. Once qualified, you would apply for qualified role. But this is one of the main issues with the SQE - qualifying via paralegal experince does not mean you are a competitive candidate in the NQ market. In fact, I discourage people to qualify via the SQE as a paralegal unless the firm you are working for (or another firm) is guaranteeing you a NQ role. If you qualify you could be overqualified but under experienced and find it difficult to find an NQ role.

3) You can find a list of employers who can sponsor visas here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/register-of-licensed-sponsors-workers

legallybrunette8

Esteemed Member
Sep 9, 2023
Hi Jessica,

thanks for your response! in regards to 2) what do you suggest doing if not qualifying via paralegal work? would it be better to keep looking for vac schemes, or focus on TCs, or something else?

also, continuing for 3) If I do have 2 years of paralegalling, but my graduate visa ends, is my only option to leave the UK, with the only possibility of coming back if a firm decides to sponsor my work visa?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

thanks for your response! in regards to 2) what do you suggest doing if not qualifying via paralegal work? would it be better to keep looking for vac schemes, or focus on TCs, or something else?

also, continuing for 3) If I do have 2 years of paralegalling, but my graduate visa ends, is my only option to leave the UK, with the only possibility of coming back if a firm decides to sponsor my work visa?
You can qualify via a paralegal role, but I only recommend doing this if you are being given a clear opportunity to step into a NQ role upon qualification. Alternatively, qualifying the traditional way through a training contract is the more secure option, so you gain exposure to the relevant responsibilities needed to work at an NQ level.

There maybe other visas available depending on your home country, but generally the only option will be to return to your home country unless you find an alternative way to stay (e.g. get a dependent's visa through a spouse or partner or another family member).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.