Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone,

One of our members started this thread and were a little worried to keep it up in case there was any risk for them as an applicant. I'm taking it over as I appreciate the concern.

I know there is a lot of worry about how law firms view the SQE (and what happens if you don't pass). While law firms also had policies on this during the LPC, I understand from speaking to many of you that the worry comes from the fact that the SQE is not the LPC, and that there are issues with how the SQE is being taught/examined. Further thoughts from Patrick McCann here.

So the goal of this thread is to provide an accessible list of law firm resit policies. I'm not making a comment on whether this is a good or bad thing, but I think it's useful to be open about this information. If you have information you would like to share with me, feel free to private message me with evidence and I can update the list. It'll be a little unstructured for now until I get more information.

Ashurst
    • Appears that there was an announcement sent that future cohorts are expected to pass first time

Bird & Bird
    • Feedback from future trainees that they received an email prior to results day reassuring them that they can resit

Clifford Chance:
    • Training contracts rescinded after failing to pass on the first attempt (Link)
    CMS:
    • Attempts: Single first attempt
    • Resit: No
    • Additional info: You may be need to repay the maintenance grant and/or SQE fees in full if you fail to pass the SQE at the first attempt.
    Freshfields
    • “While we reserve the right to withdraw offers if assessments are not passed, we consider all circumstances and speak to the individuals before coming to a decision. To date, we have allowed resits in almost all cases, and have provided additional financial support, as well as covering all exam fees. (The Lawyer)
    Macfarlanes
    • No resit policy (Link)

Linklaters
    • One resit allowed

Slaughter and May
    • Training contracts rescinded after failing to pass on the first attempt (Link)

White & Case

Last edited:

InvesmentBanker

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2023
    Hi everyone,

One of our members started this thread and were a little worried to keep it up in case there was any risk for them as an applicant. I'm taking it over as I appreciate the concern.

I know there is a lot of worry about how law firms view the SQE (and what happens if you don't pass). While law firms also had policies on this during the LPC, I understand from speaking to many of you that the worry comes from the fact that the SQE is not the LPC, and that there are issues with how the SQE is being taught/examined. Further thoughts from Patrick McCann here.

So the goal of this thread is to provide an accessible list of law firm resit policies. I'm not making a comment on whether this is a good or bad thing, but I think it's useful to be open about this information. If you have information you would like to share with me, feel free to private message me with evidence and I can update the list. It'll be a little unstructured for now until I get more information.

Clifford Chance:
    CMS:
    • Additional info: You may be need to repay the maintenance grant and/or SQE fees in full if you fail to pass the SQE at the first attempt.
    According to LegalCheek, Macfarlanes does not allow resits.

Reactions: Jaysen and O

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks everyone. I will keep updating the first post the more I hear back. Please feel free to let me know as and when you hear of other law firms.

Reactions: InvesmentBanker

GMAC

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 9, 2023
    Hi everyone,

Ashurst
    • Appears that there was an announcement sent that future cohorts are expected to pass first time

Bird & Bird
    • Feedback from future trainees that they received an email prior to results day reassuring them that they can resit

Clifford Chance:
    CMS:
    Macfarlanes
    • No resit policy (Link)

Linklaters
    • One resit allowed

Slaughter and May

White & Case
    Weil rescinded a TC from someone who failed. Bursary was not repayable.

Reactions: Jaysen and O

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    A good article in The Lawyer today regarding the NDA students have to sign when completing the SQE exam. For those worried, this was particularly relevant to me (bold added for emphasis):

'A spokesperson for the SRA said: “The confidentiality agreement relates to the content of the assessments and is to protect the security and integrity of the assessments. It is not uncommon for exam candidates to have to sign confidentiality agreements covering the content of the exams, for example the Nursing and Midwifery Council does this in the UK.

“This is about not sharing the question content in public/with others to protect integrity of exam moving forward – we don’t prohibit people talking about their experience/the process.'

Shreya Verma

Valued Member
    Sep 4, 2023
    Hi everyone,

Ashurst

Bird & Bird

Clifford Chance:
    CMS:
    Freshfields
    • “While we reserve the right to withdraw offers if assessments are not passed, we consider all circumstances and speak to the individuals before coming to a decision. To date, we have allowed resits in almost all cases, and have provided additional financial support, as well as covering all exam fees. (The Lawyer)
    Macfarlanes
    • No resit policy (Link)

Linklaters
    • One resit allowed

Slaughter and May

White & Case
    The same article by The Lawyers says that HSF is firm on resits. One current A&O trainee today posted on LinkedIn that she has passed the SQE 2. She's a third seat trainee currently.

The link to her post:

Reactions: O

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.