SRA - Character Suitability

kingof0ld

Jan 20, 2023
Hi,

Throwaway account for privacy reasons however I would be grateful for some help.

I have been looking into the character and suitability rules for admission and I would like some clarity.

I began my training contract in April 2021 and my understanding is that a character and suitability test was carried out prior to commencing the training contract and then another was to take place before admission. In my email from the SRA when my PRT was accepted and initiated by the SRA I am told "Remember you must tell us straight away about any new issues that fall under our Suitability Rules." Presumably this indicates that a character and suitability test was done?

My understand was that in September 2021 this system changed to a character and suitability test being carried out just before admission rather than before training.

I graduated almost 6 years ago and I have recently, after reminiscing with a friend, recalled a meeting that was held with the university re working together on an assessed oral presentation. Effectively we gave similar presentations. The University made us redo the assessments out of principle. We were not warned or kicked out or anything of the sort but it was a formal meeting.

I am wondering if I am perhaps being too paranoid and opening a can of worms which should be left avoided. If a character and suitability test was done before my period of recognised training commenced I can sleep easy knowing this did not come up in the check however if not I am wondering if this is something the SRA will need to know about.

In any event does the SRA contact the university for the character and suitability checks?

Many thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

Throwaway account for privacy reasons however I would be grateful for some help.

I have been looking into the character and suitability rules for admission and I would like some clarity.

I began my training contract in April 2021 and my understanding is that a character and suitability test was carried out prior to commencing the training contract and then another was to take place before admission. In my email from the SRA when my PRT was accepted and initiated by the SRA I am told "Remember you must tell us straight away about any new issues that fall under our Suitability Rules." Presumably this indicates that a character and suitability test was done?

My understand was that in September 2021 this system changed to a character and suitability test being carried out just before admission rather than before training.

I graduated almost 6 years ago and I have recently, after reminiscing with a friend, recalled a meeting that was held with the university re working together on an assessed oral presentation. Effectively we gave similar presentations. The University made us redo the assessments out of principle. We were not warned or kicked out or anything of the sort but it was a formal meeting.

I am wondering if I am perhaps being too paranoid and opening a can of worms which should be left avoided. If a character and suitability test was done before my period of recognised training commenced I can sleep easy knowing this did not come up in the check however if not I am wondering if this is something the SRA will need to know about.

In any event does the SRA contact the university for the character and suitability checks?

Many thanks
The first step would be to ask the university whether this is on your record with them. If you did not receive a formal warning in writing, then it is unlikely you will have anything on record, but it’s probably still worthwhile checking.

But yes, the SRA can check with universities for cases of plagiarism.

kingof0ld

Jan 20, 2023
The first step would be to ask the university whether this is on your record with them. If you did not receive a formal warning in writing, then it is unlikely you will have anything on record, but it’s probably still worthwhile checking.

Dear Jessica

Thanks for the informative reply.

What would prompt them to check for cases of plagiarism or do they typically contact all universities for all applicants as part of their screening.

And based on my earlier comments would you think that I have already had a character and suitability test done?

Many thanks again for your assistance.

Putt5353

Nov 20, 2021
Dear Jessica

What would prompt them to check for cases of plagiarism or do they typically contact all universities for all applicants as part of their screening.

And based on my earlier comments would you think that I have already had a character and suitability test done?

I’m obviously not Jessica, but I believe the usual process is that you won’t have a character & suitability assessment done until you’re actually applying to be admitted as a solicitor (ie once your PRT/QWE has been completed). However, you can ask for an early assessment of character & suitability if you have particular concerns, but this would just be to give you an idea of whether the SRA would allow you to qualify and they then carry out another character and suitability assessment when you apply to be admitted anyway.
Hope that helps, but the SRA website has some more info here: https://www.sra.org.uk/become-solicitor/character-and-suitability/

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Dear Jessica

Could be a spot check rather than anything to prompts them to check. I don’t know the specifics of whether they contact everyone, or a ratio.

I suspect you will still need to do a check upon qualification, even if you have gone through the process before.

jamieclarke

Dec 30, 2021

Hi Jessica. I too have been worrying about how my university record could affect me obtaining a training contract recently. Unlike the OP mine is definitely on my university record and I am unsure how this will affect my chances of a career in law and is behaviour related not academic.
I never even thought about SRA character suitability check before this post. Would I need to declare this in an application as I have been under disciplinary proceedings by my university? Applications usually ask if I have been through such proceedings by a 'professional body'. Would university fall under this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica. I too have been worrying about how my university record could affect me obtaining a training contract recently. Unlike the OP mine is definitely on my university record and I am unsure how this will affect my chances of a career in law and is behaviour related not academic.
I never even thought about SRA character suitability check before this post. Would I need to declare this in an application as I have been under disciplinary proceedings by my university? Applications usually ask if I have been through such proceedings by a 'professional body'. Would university fall under this?
It is most likely you will need to declare this, and particularly if the disciplinary proceedings were down to plagiarism or any type of activity deemed fraudulent in an academic setting.

This part of the SRA suitability test cover academic situations:

8B5BBDB0-1DA7-486E-9FF5-984756085731.jpeg

Last edited:

jamieclarke

Dec 30, 2021
It is most likely you will need to declare this, and particularly if the disciplinary proceedings were down to plagiarism or any type of activity deemed fraudulent in an academic setting.

This part of the SRA suitability test cover academic situations:

View attachment 4689
Hi Jessica. Sorry but I meant that the offence on my record was not due to an academic offence but a behavioural offence. There are three things I am concerned about here 1.) Will a firm find out about this (I believe they only seek references after completion of VS and if they want to offer you a TC?), 2.) Do I need to disclose this in an application (I've already sent off most of my apps) 3.) Would I need to declare this to the SRA (I've heard they aren't strict with accepting people but may again affect a law firm offering me a TC - why offer someone a TC who the SRA will reject).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica. Sorry but I meant that the offence on my record was not due to an academic offence but a behavioural offence. There are three things I am concerned about here 1.) Will a firm find out about this (I believe they only seek references after completion of VS and if they want to offer you a TC?), 2.) Do I need to disclose this in an application (I've already sent off most of my apps) 3.) Would I need to declare this to the SRA (I've heard they aren't strict with accepting people but may again affect a law firm offering me a TC - why offer someone a TC who the SRA will reject).
In regards to the SRA, it will depend what the behavioural offence relates to (feel free to PM me with the detail if that is easier).

You don’t have to disclose it on application forms to firms unless the explicitly asked a question that would cover this particular subject (I can’t think of any I have seen on applications).

However, there is a strong chance this comes out in any reference processes/onboarding processes if firms are asking for a reference from your university. How they will take this information depends on what the behaviour actually was.

jamieclarke

Dec 30, 2021
In regards to the SRA, it will depend what the behavioural offence relates to (feel free to PM me with the detail if that is easier).

You don’t have to disclose it on application forms to firms unless the explicitly asked a question that would cover this particular subject (I can’t think of any I have seen on applications).

However, there is a strong chance this comes out in any reference processes/onboarding processes if firms are asking for a reference from your university. How they will take this information depends on what the behaviour actually was.
Thanks Jessica I have messaged you with the report. I don't know exactly what it says on my record, but what I sent it what was given as 'evidence' against me.

happyfeet97

Standard Member
Jul 10, 2023
Hi,

Many thanks
Hi, just wondering what the outcome was of this situation for you?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.