Starting PGDL in September 2023?

D

Deleted member 25207

Hi all!

Is anyone starting their PGDL this September? Thought I'd start a little thread for support. I haven't confirmed my place yet as I'm still figuring out whether to accept the on campus place or online.
May I know if you'll be with BPP or ULaw? How was the application process, is it relatively straightforward? Would one have to apply that early/in advance for September/October intake? I'm thinking of joining the same intake. What will be the deciding factor for you @choosing campus vs online?

potentialsolicitor2b

Premium Member
  • Dec 11, 2022
    I've applied to ULAW. The application process was very straightforward. It required a personal statement and I had to attach my degree certificate and transcript. For the on-campus application I also had to provide a reference.

I think I'm going to go for the on campus one. I don't think I'll be able to be as disciplined doing it online, so on campus would be better in giving me structure. I'm in a further pickle as I've just discovered the MA Law SQE (which you might want to take a look at). It includes the SQE's.

D

Deleted member 25207

I've applied to ULAW. The application process was very straightforward. It required a personal statement and I had to attach my degree certificate and transcript. For the on-campus application I also had to provide a reference.

I think I'm going to go for the on campus one. I don't think I'll be able to be as disciplined doing it online, so on campus would be better in giving me structure. I'm in a further pickle as I've just discovered the MA Law SQE (which you might want to take a look at). It includes the SQE's.
    I haven't applied yet, but I've been considering the part time online intake as I'll be doing another part time masters with work interspersed at the same time!

So far I've only been thinking of doing the SQE only after having applied for and secured a training contract. Do let me know (whether here or PM) more about the structure once you've received more information. If I'm not mistaken, we're about the same age and are both mature career changers, so hello!

I'm curious about their timetabling and teaching format. Any particular reason you've decided to make a switch onto the MA--SQE, is it the masters designation, loan qualifying aspect or is it generally much better cost and and duration-wise than doing it separately?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    For those needing a masters student loan as you can only have one of those PGDL with LLM and SQE1 might be best. Called, I think - "Full Time LLM Law Conversion with SQE1" at BPP, particularly given in theory you do not need the PGDL any more (although most law firms want it for those without an LLB).

stone’sthrow

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 9, 2019
    Hello, I am starting the PGDL at the University of Law London Moorgate campus in September 2023.

Would other TCLA members on the University of Law PGDL be interested in having a WhatsApp group chat to motivate and support one another? PM me and I can create it! :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.