Student loans available when doing a LPC LLM paid for via training contract

Omi

Dec 24, 2020
I will Be starting the LPC in September and will be doing it with the additional legal practice LLM . As I have a training contract and it will all be paid for will I still be eligible for student finance?

has anyone who is in the same situation for. Student finance and how much did you get ?

I have heard everyone gets the max of 11k but I was wondering if that would be different if your actual tuition fees are being covered ?

Reactions: George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
I will Be starting the LPC in September and will be doing it with the additional legal practice LLM . As I have a training contract and it will all be paid for will I still be eligible for student finance?

has anyone who is in the same situation for. Student finance and how much did you get ?

I have heard everyone gets the max of 11k but I was wondering if that would be different if your actual tuition fees are being covered ?
Hi @Omi,

Unfortunately I do not know the answer to this question. @Jessica Booker might be able to advise however.

I am on hand to help if you have any other queries though 😊

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
As I understand it, you are still eligible for student finance. They do not factor in other forms of income into the decision, you just have to be eligible for the loan which is typically based on nationality/country of residence, the course you are studying and whether you have had a PG loan before. This is how many students cover their costs beyond the maintenance grant.

I haven’t been involved in onboarding people on to the GDL/LPC for sometime though and so things might have changed since then. Hopefully our community might be able to come back with what they have done.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020

I can confirm that you can still get a loan from SFE for your paid-for masters/LPC. It's similar to winning a scholarship.

Although, you may wish to consider what the repayment terms will be if you already have loans with SFE. It may be that your repayments become higher as a result of paying off potentially three loans and the repayment rate is anchored on your salary band.

Reactions: Lisa Lowe

DayamiHahn

Oct 22, 2023
It sounds like you're in a unique situation with your LPC LLM and a training contract. Student finance can be a bit complex, especially with various factors at play.

If you ever find yourself in need of financial advice beyond student loans, like for mortgages or home financing, you might want to reach out to a Mortgage Broker in Redditch. They can provide valuable insights and guidance for your future financial endeavors.

Last edited:

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    masters student finance is paid directly to you and is a set amount of about £12k. You only have to be a UK citizen studying in the UK to be eligible afaik as long as your course is a masters course (simple SQE1 &2 prep courses are not). repayments are separate to undergrad loans at an additional 6% on PAYE, so your effective student loan rate becomes 15% and not 9%. Having said that you are likely to pay off the masters element.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.