Taking advantage of work experience section

lawstudent12345

Distinguished Member
Feb 16, 2021
I don’t think it’s necessarily directly useful for commercial law, but clearly it will be a great responsibility to have on your CV. I wouldn’t do it in the hope it builds out your CV, but if you have a genuine interest in the subject and want to take on the responsibility, then I personally think you should (unless you have other options).
Thank you, that's very helpful! I don't think I am going to take on the role then, as I'm quite focused on other things. Thanks a bunch!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you, that's very helpful! I don't think I am going to take on the role then, as I'm quite focused on other things. Thanks a bunch!!
If you have other things to show you are keeping yourself busy, then I don’t think an additional activity is necessary.

I would stress that I don’t think any extra curricular activity actually directly benefits you for a career in commercial law. It’s much more what you do and why you do it that CAN benefit you.

lawstudent12345

Distinguished Member
Feb 16, 2021
If you have other things to show you are keeping yourself busy, then I don’t think an additional activity is necessary.

I would stress that I don’t think any extra curricular activity actually directly benefits you for a career in commercial law. It’s much more what you do and why you do it that CAN benefit you.
Good points, thank you! I think AI is interesting especially with regard to the law/tech intersection but personally I'm not very excited by the idea of organising events. thanks for your advice!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Good points, thank you! I think AI is interesting especially with regard to the law/tech intersection but personally I'm not very excited by the idea of organising events. thanks for your advice!
Then don’t do it. You should only do things you want to do.

Reactions: lawstudent12345

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Would you recommend using the STAR structure in the work experience section?
STAR typically only works for competency questions. Generally for work experience, you can focus on your responsibilities and impact/success (AR). The ST part is typically is self explanatory from the heading of the work experience.

Reactions: BeGrateful.101

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.