TC application or Vac scheme?

Lottie

Standard Member
Future Trainee
Apr 4, 2018
Hi

I had a little scan and couldn't see one, so hoping nobody has asked this before!

I'd like to hear opinions on direct TC applications vs vac scheme applications. I graduated in 2015, did the Teach First programme, paralegal'd for 6 months and have worked at a litigation funder ever since. I've done solely direct TC applications this year (I haven't been so successful, but I think that was more technique as my apps are getting better.)

Just wanted to hear thoughts on whether I should bother with applying for vac schemes. I worry that, if I did get a vac scheme, it's a lot of time to take out of your annual leave - particularly if you then don't get offered the TC (though of course, getting a TC offer would make it all worth it).

Just wondered if anyone else is working and favours one application type over the other?

Any insight is hugely appreciated
Thanks
Lottie

Sofia

Star Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi

I had a little scan and couldn't see one, so hoping nobody has asked this before!

I'd like to hear opinions on direct TC applications vs vac scheme applications. I graduated in 2015, did the Teach First programme, paralegal'd for 6 months and have worked at a litigation funder ever since. I've done solely direct TC applications this year (I haven't been so successful, but I think that was more technique as my apps are getting better.)

Just wanted to hear thoughts on whether I should bother with applying for vac schemes. I worry that, if I did get a vac scheme, it's a lot of time to take out of your annual leave - particularly if you then don't get offered the TC (though of course, getting a TC offer would make it all worth it).

Just wondered if anyone else is working and favours one application type over the other?

Any insight is hugely appreciated
Thanks
Lottie

I'm working, so this has been a problem for me too. Especially because I'm working in a different field at the moment - I've found that law firms really push back on my motivation for being a commercial lawyer. I doubt I'd have that problem if I was applying for vacation schemes, but I can't really afford to take a couple of weeks off.

If I don't have much luck this month after direct applications, I think what I'll do is apply for a few winter vacation schemes. From what I've seen, some of them are just one week, which I could take off.

Reactions: Lottie

jess889

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2018
I favour vacation scheme applications so much more.

While it's a far longer route - not only are training contract interviews made tougher, but you have such a small window to impress. I feel it's very much dependent on the whims of that person interviewing you, which means unless you're lucky and click with the interviewer or very experienced, you're going to have a tough time.

At least with vacation schemes, you're assessed by lots of people, each with different perspectives on how you are performing. You can also forgive a bad experience with one by doing well with another.

(At least that's my experience having struggled with direct TC apps!)

MightyMoe

Star Member
Feb 28, 2018
I favour vacation scheme applications so much more.

While it's a far longer route - not only are training contract interviews made tougher, but you have such a small window to impress. I feel it's very much dependent on the whims of that person interviewing you, which means unless you're lucky and click with the interviewer or very experienced, you're going to have a tough time.

At least with vacation schemes, you're assessed by lots of people, each with different perspectives on how you are performing. You can also forgive a bad experience with one by doing well with another.

(At least that's my experience having struggled with direct TC apps!)

Agreed. I've messed up on a vacation scheme interview and I still got the offer - I don't think I'd get that luxury if it was a training contract interview.

I've just been doing a mixture of both. VS apps in December/Jan and then training contract apps in June/July.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.