TC offer

NbyN

Standard Member
Oct 20, 2022
Hi, does anyone know what the general rules are around accepting a TC offer from one firm and then doing a vac scheme with another? I have to give my decision for the TC before the vac scheme would start but would I still be able to do the vac scheme if I’d already accepted elsewhere?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, does anyone know what the general rules are around accepting a TC offer from one firm and then doing a vac scheme with another? I have to give my decision for the TC before the vac scheme would start but would I still be able to do the vac scheme if I’d already accepted elsewhere?
General “good practice” would be to withdraw from the vacation scheme, especially if there is no chance of you accepting a TC with the VS firm over the firm you have been offered.

However, enough people don’t do this. Whether they need the money for the summer or just want to build up their CV, many will continue to do vacation schemes with other firms while having accepted a TC offer.

Some firms’ VS and TC offers will have explicit terms in them that state you couldn’t do the vacation scheme, so you should check your offer documents for both the VS and TC to see if this is the case. However, in many instances it would be impossible for firms to know whether you were breaking these terms or not. The only way I could see it was possible if either firm publicly declared you had/were joining them, but even that would need your approval.

NbyN

Standard Member
Oct 20, 2022
General “good practice” would be to withdraw from the vacation scheme, especially if there is no chance of you accepting a TC with the VS firm over the firm you have been offered.

However, enough people don’t do this. Whether they need the money for the summer or just want to build up their CV, many will continue to do vacation schemes with other firms while having accepted a TC offer.

Some firms’ VS and TC offers will have explicit terms in them that state you couldn’t do the vacation scheme, so you should check your offer documents for both the VS and TC to see if this is the case. However, in many instances it would be impossible for firms to know whether you were breaking these terms or not. The only way I could see it was possible if either firm publicly declared you had/were joining them, but even that would need your approval.
Thank you so much Jessica this is very helpful!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.