TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
If you get offered a TC over the phone, is it wise to keep applying etc. until you’ve had the formal letter through? I verbally accepted for my top choice post-AC and struggling to get motivated to keep going, but conscious not too get complacent just in case 🫣
You already have your offer and as soon as it has been communicated to you, it is binding so I would not worry. If you want more offers then definitely keep applying, but if you already know that this is your first option, I would just celebrate and let other opportunities for people who are still applying!

Congratulations on getting your offer! You are going to be a lawyer and that is exciting!

S2L24

Jan 10, 2024
You already have your offer and as soon as it has been communicated to you, it is binding so I would not worry. If you want more offers then definitely keep applying, but if you already know that this is your first option, I would just celebrate and let other opportunities for people who are still applying!

Congratulations on getting your offer! You are going to be a lawyer and that is exciting!
Thank you! Puts my mind at ease. I think it’s a mixed case of being anxious to have it in writing and also the fact it still feels surreal to have got to this stage!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If you get offered a TC over the phone, is it wise to keep applying etc. until you’ve had the formal letter through? I verbally accepted for my top choice post-AC and struggling to get motivated to keep going, but conscious not too get complacent just in case 🫣
I don't think you need to do this if it is your top choice - there would be little point as you are only going to accept the offer you have got.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Quick question @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre or anyone

I’ve heard from a previous candidate that an interview question is “discuss a current news article that’s interested you recently” I’ve chosen to talk about a new case on IP (trademarks) but in my interview I hope to emphasise that I am draw to the firms Technology, science and industry sector which covers life science. With this being said when I explain my reasoning for wanting to work in this sector I will explain a life science case that the firm advised on and how that is interesting to me, In addition to my background in technology in my current job.

Would talking about a recent IP case be too far from Life science area? Or as they both fall under one sector for this firm would it be okay?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Quick question @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre or anyone

I’ve heard from a previous candidate that an interview question is “discuss a current news article that’s interested you recently” I’ve chosen to talk about a new case on IP (trademarks) but in my interview I hope to emphasise that I am draw to the firms Technology, science and industry sector which covers life science. With this being said when I explain my reasoning for wanting to work in this sector I will explain a life science case that the firm advised on and how that is interesting to me, In addition to my background in technology in my current job.

Would talking about a recent IP case be too far from Life science area? Or as they both fall under one sector for this firm would it be okay?
    I think it would be totally fine to talk about IP as I personally think it is really relevant to life sciences anyway. Having a training contract from a tech firm like Goodwin, I was exposed in my vacation scheme to what they do in IP, and a lot of the deals they work on are life sciences related so I would say IP is very much linked to life sciences in a way. I do not see why you could not talk about it.

Good luck with the interview!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Legalstalker

ajdbnjsbfjns

Jan 29, 2024
    Congrats on the offer!! That’s amazing.

Do they give you the feedback on the call, or do you schedule a time for the feedback?
    Thank you so much!! The feedback was relatively brief but insightful, also they just call whenever. I was grocery shopping when they called and told him to call back in 2 minutes as I went back to my flat.

Cryingtiger

Valued Member
    Dec 11, 2020
    My friend received a CC TC offer an hour ago. I also know two other people who received rejections today as well. My friend said they are making calls throughout the week until Friday I believe.

I never applied to CC this year, but from last year they were ringing people according to their “name” or “surname” order!

Reactions: Sharon Wu

ADKM

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2022
    Just finished with my HL direct TC app. I just found out they don’t have a chambers student page and in the ‘which resource did you find most helpful when researching us’ question I put in chambers student. I’m now worried if this could be a cause for them to bin my application? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre would love to know your thoughts!

SoonToBeTrainee

Standard Member
    Dec 29, 2023
    Just finished with my HL direct TC app. I just found out they don’t have a chambers student page and in the ‘which resource did you find most helpful when researching us’ question I put in chambers student. I’m now worried if this could be a cause for them to bin my application? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre would love to know your thoughts!
    I could be completely wrong but I wouldn't stress too much about this.

I think it's mostly an internal way of tracking their marketing / what attracts applicants etc.

I'm sure that if recruitment do pay attention to it, it's probably something that they would skim-read anyway. Don't worry!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.