TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2020
I dont get how, in multiple cycles, i can get past the app stage for firms that recruit less than 10 trainees per year yet cant get past the app stage for mc firms that recruit like 100 trainees. I know there are factors like difference in the number of application and stuff but i feel like at least one app should have made the first stage percentage wise

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
I dont get how, in multiple cycles, i can get past the app stage for firms that recruit less than 10 trainees per year yet cant get past the app stage for mc firms that recruit like 100 trainees. I know there are factors like difference in the number of application and stuff but i feel like at least one app should have made the first stage percentage wise
I agree, but I think as well as the other firms having far less applicants, each MC firm looks for something very specific.

It’s not just the MC either; you can get an AC offer from a selective US firm with an £180k NQ salary but not past the app for a regional firm with a £40k NQ salary. It doesn’t make sense at times but guess they all know what they’re looking for.

As we all say though, it only takes one yes!

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2020
I agree, but I think as well as the other firms having far less applicants, each MC firm looks for something very specific.

It’s not just the MC either; you can get an AC offer from a selective US firm with an £180k NQ salary but not past the app for a regional firm with a £40k NQ salary. It doesn’t make sense at times but guess they all know what they’re looking for.

I just wish theyd let us know what they are looking for. What is this specific criteria?😫

I feel like it should be at the top of the grad rec page. That would make things easier for the firm and the applicants

Reactions: law2022x

legalgrinch

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 30, 2023
    I just wish theyd let us know what they are looking for. What is this specific criteria?😫

I feel like it should be at the top of the grad rec page. That would make things easier for the firm and the applicants
    I totally agree with you! I have asked firms in the past for their criteria and they will just refer you to the generic "trainee skills they are looking for" - which does not help.

I found this on FF's Early Careers website:

What skills do you look for? We look for many skills including determination, enthusiasm, time management, flexibility, attention to detail, an interest in business, willingness to work as a team, and resilience. Ensure you link your experiences to the types of skills we look for.

It is so odd because I made it as well to the AC stage for FF last year and was encouraged to apply again like others on here! I have come to the conclusion most firms do not really interview again once you have completed an AC with them... as most firms I have completed ACs with last year have rejected me post-app or post-WG this year!

Last edited:

m_ecode2000

Standard Member
    Jan 8, 2024
    Hi all, I would love some advice. I have received a verbal TC offer from my favourite firm (all a bit of a surprise as the AC I attended was for the vac scheme so I wasn’t anticipating this). It’s been a week now and I haven’t received the written offer but GR have confirmed that they are in the process of doing it.

I have withdrawn an application for another AC I was invited to as I’m currently away so couldn’t make it. However, I have another AC to attend next week and I’m unsure whether to withdraw my application yet. I have pretty much verbally accepted the TC from my favourite firm but until I have signed the contact it doesn’t feel very certain and I’m wondering whether it is a smart idea to still attend the AC next week. I know that if I was offered a TC from firm B (the one with the AC) I would still accept the TC from my favourite firm so would prefer to just withdraw my application for firm B. Not really too sure what to do as I’m sure the contract will come through this week but I would prefer to let firm B know ASAP if I am withdrawing so someone else may be able to attend the AC.

3000to1shoteverytime

Distinguished Member
    Dec 9, 2023

Regional firms will usually prioritise those with links to the area because they don't want to be "used for sponsorship and TC" and then a NQ bugger off elsewhere when qualified

Last edited:

3000to1shoteverytime

Distinguished Member
    Dec 9, 2023
    Hi all, I would love some advice. I have received a verbal TC offer from my favourite firm (all a bit of a surprise as the AC I attended was for the vac scheme so I wasn’t anticipating this). It’s been a week now and I haven’t received the written offer but GR have confirmed that they are in the process of doing it.

I have withdrawn an application for another AC I was invited to as I’m currently away so couldn’t make it. However, I have another AC to attend next week and I’m unsure whether to withdraw my application yet. I have pretty much verbally accepted the TC from my favourite firm but until I have signed the contact it doesn’t feel very certain and I’m wondering whether it is a smart idea to still attend the AC next week. I know that if I was offered a TC from firm B (the one with the AC) I would still accept the TC from my favourite firm so would prefer to just withdraw my application for firm B. Not really too sure what to do as I’m sure the contract will come through this week but I would prefer to let firm B know ASAP if I am withdrawing so someone else may be able to attend the AC.
    Go to the AC until such time as you have your written offer. If you end up withdrawing although someone else may not get the AC place it does mean the odds are better for those on the AC to get a VS.

Congrats on your offer though. Can you say who (but understand if you would rather not)

Last edited:
    Reactions: legalgrinch

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 23, 2023
    literally same, i did law at oxbridge which i thought they wanted and i’ve been successful with US firms - i think US firms might read apps more carefully maybe? it’s very confusing
    Heard that MC firms prefer younger candidates (still at uni or final year at uni). US firms prefer candidates with broad work experience (not just legal but also in other sectors). At the end of the day, it’s a numbers game. We’ll get there eventually

law2022x

Legendary Member
    Feb 21, 2022
    Heard that MC firms prefer younger candidates (still at uni or final year at uni). US firms prefer candidates with broad work experience (not just legal but also in other sectors). At the end of the day, it’s a numbers game. We’ll get there eventually
    ooh yeah i suspected this, i think that definitely correlates with what i’ve seen too

Last edited:
    Reactions: AB

MR218

Standard Member
    Mar 9, 2019
    PFO from Freshfields post-app.

I know how competitive the MC is, so not going to complain, but I just sometimes don’t understand how the decisions are made? Last year, I sent in an app an hour before the deadline, with one or two spelling mistakes, and the app was effectively a generic one not tailored to the firm that I copied from another of my applications. I got through to the WG stage.

This year, I researched throughly and feel my app was far better, alongside paralegal experience and an achieved first-class degree, but I didn’t get past the application stage.

I just don’t understand that. I think it makes the whole process much harder to understand when things like that happen.
    Honestly I think it’s so easy to drive yourself crazy trying to find a reason for these things, when there probably is just a certain degree of luck whether you pass through the first round.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi there. i was wondering if anyone could help with an answer for an interview question of why I didn't convert a VS to a TC? It's a question i am dreading but ik i should defo expect it coming my way :(

my feedback post-VS wasn't super clear/that useful, I asked but GR didn't give me a specific reason to why i wasn't offered it just that it was a very competitive year l- but i think it was because i didn't score very high in 1 out of 3 of my written pieces during the scheme. I'm not too sure how to say I've improved this though- maybe since i've started working now whereas i was at uni before so not used to writing in a 'lawyerly' way? I did feel quite out of place at the firm so now it's been a few months i think it was for the best as i don't think i would've enjoyed training there but ik that's not an ideal answer haha! Thanks! @axelbeugre
    I think if your own analysis identifies your written output could have been stronger in one instance, then don’t be afraid to highlight this.

1) it sounds like other written work was okay, so clearly it is not a consistent issue

2) as you have highlighted you feel you have learned from your more recent experiences on how to write more like a lawyer, so you have developed since the decision was made

Rather than focusing on the negative of being out of place while you were there, you can focus on the positive that the experience has allowed you to reevaluate your motivations/expectations, and you have realised what you want going forward (rather than what you don’t want).

Reactions: missingh

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi All, does anyone have any experience with statements in support?

I'm working on a couple of applications - one wants: "Please write a short statement in support of your application.". The other asks for a "Personal Summary: use it to tell us a little more about yourself.". For both, there are no further questions; this statement/summary is the extent of the application.

I'm wondering if I should treat these as Cover Letters? Are they asking the same thing of me content wise?

Thank you!
    Are there other questions on the application form or just these statements?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Cause last year my app was awful and still got through. I don't know, maybe they haven't read my app yet. In terms of AI, I guess it probably does some basic checks before flagging the app to grad rec.

My sister got a job in investment banking and grad rec told her that they used AI to filter out more than 20,000 apps. Basically AI looks for terminology in the app that grad rec outlines in the recruitment page (like key skills etc.). I am not entirely sure if law firms do this, but wouldn't be surprised if they do.
    Grad Rec in banking is exceptionally different to law. There maybe firms using AI to check whether applications have been made using AI, but it is far less likely that law firms will be using it as a screening tool (for a whole host of reasons). The banks are different given their volume and also exceptionally short recruitment processes.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I would explain this briefly to Grad Rec. Explain you’d like to withdraw from another firm’s process but you are reluctant to do this until you have a written offer, and therefore is their any chance your written offer could be sent this week.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.