Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker if I am looking to start a paralegal position in around August, when would be the best time to start applying, is now too far out?
Early June at the earliest. There wouldn't be much point before then as firms are typically looking for someone to start fairly immediately.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
In your first 3 months as a trainee at BCLP, who would you seek to build relationships with, and what strategies would you implement to ensure that these relationships are long lasting? How to answer this? @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker
The key to this answer is identifying who are the most important people to build relationships with. The answer cannot be everyone - this is a firm of thousands of people, so being selective about who you are identifying is important.

One key element of this is thinking about what is the purpose of the relationship - how will you benefit from that relationship existing?

Then think about how the relationships with those different people would differ and therefore how you may look to build a relationship in different ways.

Finally, feel free to put your own individuality on it. If you are interested in a particular practice area or want to be part of an employee network group, your answer may have more elements of that.

Reactions: Shreya Verma

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it advisable to relate your responsibilities in the work experience section to commercial law or highlight the transferable skills when nothing's mentioned about it? @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker

P.S. Having faced a rejection recently, I feel as if I should explain each and everything properly 🫣
I personally don't think this is needed (unless the firm explictly asks you to do this in the application form). The recruiter can read into the connection between commercial law or consider what would be transferable skills, and in the vast majority of cases you don't need to spell it out why there is a connection.

Just evidencing the skill or experience should be sufficient.

Reactions: Shreya Verma

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Wondering if personal ties to a region are questioned in an interview? among other reasons I am planning to mention having extended family in the region in passing. Asking as this is not family I am particularly close to and have not visited them before.
Yes, I would expect this to be the case for many firms, especially for offices outside of London and if your application has no reference to that region.

Is having family there really a reason if you haven’t visited them? If not, I wouldn’t say this just for the sake of saying it. I would try to focus more about your reasons for willing to live and work in the region if the link to your family is fairly limited at the moment.

Shreya Verma

Valued Member
Sep 4, 2023
The key to this answer is identifying who are the most important people to build relationships with. The answer cannot be everyone - this is a firm of thousands of people, so being selective about who you are identifying is important.

One key element of this is thinking about what is the purpose of the relationship - how will you benefit from that relationship existing?

Then think about how the relationships with those different people would differ and therefore how you may look to build a relationship in different ways.

Finally, feel free to put your own individuality on it. If you are interested in a particular practice area or want to be part of an employee network group, your answer may have more elements of that.
Yes I'm interested in their technology and ip disputes team and their South Asian lawyers network. I found these aspects quite interesting and relatable.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Studyinglaw

Star Member
  • Sep 14, 2022
    Yes, I would expect this to be the case for many firms, especially for offices outside of London and if your application has no reference to that region.

Is having family there really a reason if you haven’t visited them? If not, I wouldn’t say this just for the sake of saying it. I would try to focus more about your reasons for willing to live and work in the region if the link to your family is fairly limited at the moment.
    Thanks. I am aiming to focus more on work-related motivations but am apprehensive that they would fall short against candidates who also have personal reasons.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks. I am aiming to focus more on work-related motivations but am apprehensive that they would fall short against candidates who also have personal reasons.
    If you feel you need personal reasons, do a bit of research about the region and why you would like living there (e.g. what you'd get up to outside of work). You can mention the family too - but I think this just needs to be a brief reference given you aren't close/haven't spent time with them recently.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.