TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Shreya Verma

Valued Member
Sep 4, 2023
Thank you so much!
Hey, thanks. I would recommend assessment day. I found their feedback and explanation of the rules for each section very helpful, I thought the language used was very digestible as opposed to other websites. Plus it’s also very comprehensive, they have 86 questions and give 60 minutes to complete.

Secondly, I purchased a subscription from practiceaptitudetests.com

I don’t remember the price but I’m sure it wasn’t a lot. They have 20 WG tests (with timed and untimed options) and each test has 10 questions. So a total of around 228 questions to practice from.

Finally, I’d say just familiarise yourself with the rules of the test. Last week I failed the CMS WG test and realised I completely misunderstood the rules for the arguments section. I thought in arguments, one should take the statement to be true whereas it’s the other way round. You have to take the argument to be true and then evaluate if the argument directly addresses the statement and whether it’s relevant. If yes, then it’s a strong argument otherwise it’s weak. Same is the case with other sections too.

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck!

O

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 27, 2019
Does anyone know when A&O TC assessment dates are? I know that they'll get back to us the w/c 4 Dec and the VS runs from 4 - 8 Dec

Co0rpBarbie20

Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 23, 2023
    I received the “feedback and next steps” email from A&O and shortly after received an email stating that
    “ Unfortunately, your videos did not upload correctly for your application, therefore we have had to reset your video questions.
    Should you wish to still be considered for this role, we would ask that you use the below URL link to record the question again within the next 24 hours.”

Just curious if anyone else who has/had applied to A&O also received this?

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 23, 2023
    I received the “feedback and next steps” email from A&O and shortly after received an email stating that
    “ Unfortunately, your videos did not upload correctly for your application, therefore we have had to reset your video questions.
    Should you wish to still be considered for this role, we would ask that you use the below URL link to record the question again within the next 24 hours.”

Just curious if anyone else who has/had applied to A&O also received this?
    Hi, I received the same email when I applied for the winter vacation scheme. They told me to upload again. However, when I went to record the video again on their platform, I could only record an answer to their second question only. Then a few weeks after I received a rejection.

I’d just record it again and possibly improve the answer, as you are kinda given a second chance. Best of luck!

Reactions: Co0rpBarbie20

Samridhi Jain

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 18, 2022
    How long did it take most people to hear back from Clifford Chance after completing the WG?

I'll be honest, I found it much harder than most of the practice tests I did :confused:
    I got to know within 24 hours - I unfortunately did not clear it.

I seriously needed so much time to think and felt that the time wasn't sufficient. Also, +1 that it was much harder than the practice tests. I'll continue to work on my WG strategy. Apart from more practice, what's a good way to ensure accuracy stays when the time to complete a test is short?

Another Q: which other firms require passing the WG as the next step?

yasmars

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2021

I seriously needed so much time to think and felt that the time wasn't sufficient. Also, +1 that it was much harder than the practice tests. I'll continue to work on my WG strategy. Apart from more practice, what's a good way to ensure accuracy stays when the time to complete a test is short?

To answer your second question I know Hogan does

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021

Sorry to hear that, I’m still yet to hear so not sure if that’s good or bad news.

I’d agree though, 30 minutes does make it feel overly pressured. In terms of strategy, other than practice, practice, practice like you said, I guess just doing those practice tests to a time limit. For example, do a practice question and give yourself a minute max to answer it, then move on if you’re not sure. What I did though, was move to the end of the test and get all the arguments/assumptions (quick ones) out the way first and then leave the ones I knew I’d have to think about more until the end.

Or if you struggle with WGs, perhaps just avoid firms that require them. Think Freshfields, Hogan Lovells, Baker McKenzie, Linklaters, Norton Rose Fulbright, CMS, Bird & Bird, HFW, Osborne Clarke and DLA Piper are the only ones that do. So effectively, you have a wide choice of firms that don’t! :)

Reactions: Samridhi Jain

Samridhi Jain

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 18, 2022
    Sorry to hear that, I’m still yet to hear so not sure if that’s good or bad news.

I’d agree though, 30 minutes does make it feel overly pressured. In terms of strategy, other than practice, practice, practice like you said, I guess just doing those practice tests to a time limit. For example, do a practice question and give yourself a minute max to answer it, then move on if you’re not sure. What I did though, was move to the end of the test and get all the arguments/assumptions (quick ones) out the way first and then leave the ones I knew I’d have to think about more until the end.

Or if you struggle with WGs, perhaps just avoid firms that require them. Think Freshfields, Hogan Lovells, Baker McKenzie, Linklaters, Norton Rose Fulbright, CMS, Bird & Bird, HFW, Osborne Clarke and DLA Piper are the only ones that do. So effectively, you have a wide choice of firms that don’t! :)
    I hope you get through! I don't think it's a matter of time - you just get the reply when you have to. I haven't received the A&O next steps email but I am positive so let's see.

that sounds like a good idea, thank you so much! OMG Yes - WGs are not the best way to assess me haha - I say this after SO much practice on them and I think different firms have a different way to assess WGs too - I applied to Links and didn't get through as well.

A few firms you mentioned are on my list but perhaps a good idea to shift focus. Thanks for all the advice :)

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    I got a PFO after the test but I haven’t even sat the test? Maybe it could be an error on your side too
    ohh that is interesting! have you emailed to ask them what is up? i also think they recruit mainly internally as most of their trainees are paralegals this is based off of the profiles i saw on linkedin.

Samridhi Jain

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 18, 2022
    Does anyone know if CC will share the wg breakdown like before?
    there's no breakdown. they will just let you know if you have passed or failed.

I received this:

"Dear _____

Thank you for completing our online Watson Glaser test.

Unfortunately, you did not reach the required level to progress in our selection process, and it is with regret that we are unable to consider your application further.

You will not be able to sit another test this recruitment cycle, however in the next academic year you will be able to apply again.

Due to the large number of applications we receive we are unable to provide individual feedback at this stage, but we would encourage you to look at our open access virtual internships if you are pursuing a career in commercial law.

We wish you all the best in the future.

Kindest Regards,"

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.