TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

IwantaVacSchemePlz

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 17, 2023
I think more than anything, the frustrating thing is being left in the dark. CC said they would reply today and many have heard nothing, and A&O said they would let people know this week and again, nothing.

If it's a PFO, I'd rather just be alerted as opposed to holding onto that tiny slimmer of hope of still being accepted.
For A&O people got interview invites for the WVS and SVS the weeks following the week the app portal initially stated, so really wouldn’t lose hope.

powerpuffgirl

Standard Member
Jan 24, 2023
I think more than anything, the frustrating thing is being left in the dark. CC said they would reply today and many have heard nothing, and A&O said they would let people know this week and again, nothing.

If it's a PFO, I'd rather just be alerted as opposed to holding onto that tiny slimmer of hope of still being accepted.
Agreed, especially when they give a specific date. If they can’t stick to the date why not just tell us they’ll get back to us in “due course” like some firms do? Also, how hard is it to just send a PFO email? It’s not like they personalise feedback at all, it’s a generic mass email🤣 It causes a lot of additional stress for nothing.

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
Agreed, especially when they give a specific date. If they can’t stick to the date why not just tell us they’ll get back to us in “due course” like some firms do? Also, how hard is it to just send a PFO email? It’s not like they personalise feedback at all, it’s a generic mass email🤣 It causes a lot of additional stress for nothing.
Very true indeed. That's why I always take a pinch of salt when grad rec says a specific date/when we will hear back

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
That's exactly it! We're all sat here on TCLA going crazy while refreshing our emails, and they could easily put us out of our misery by sending an automated PFO with one click 🤣 I mean, I know the fact I haven't heard anything means it's inevitably a PFO, but we're all going to continue to hold hope when there's nothing. So frustrating!

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Around 30 minutes ago :)
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2020
I understand how demoralising it can be, but I wouldn't recommend making a hasty decision to rule out applying to MC firms based solely on this experience.

Here's why... I graduated in 2019, recently completed the PGDL, and am a career changer. I don't believe MC firms overwhelmingly prefer undergraduate candidates.

I applied to CC last year, passed WG and didn't get invited to VI, however, this year I have. I have applied to FF and got through to the AC stage. However, the first MC firms I applied to were Slaughters and A&O, both of which I was rejected post-app. If you make generalisations about a set of similar firms, based on a PFO from one firm that is in that silo, I would think that you're shooting yourself in the foot.

One caveat, I do seem to get a lot more traction with US firms, I don't know why, but I think from speaking to friends already in the law, these firms do often tend to go for graduates and those who have worked in other professions.

In essence, don't be discouraged. Keep applying to MC firms and even consider CC opportunities. There isn't a one-size-fits-all profile they seek, so persistence can pay off.

Drop me a message if you want :)
Thank u for the message :)
I understand that I cant really make this kind of judgement and I'm probably going to be applying to mcs if i dont get a tc this year
but I've gotten pfo from Links, AO, CC, FF this year so there are no mc firms left for me 😂

• 🤝
Reactions: sxw517

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.