TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Noodles

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Feb 16, 2023
    That is fantastic news - congratulations!!

Season 4 Applause GIF by Blindspot
    Thank you, Jessica!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Macfarlanes TC!!
    Got the call after completing the LPC and not completing a single vac scheme.
    It just takes the one!

Good luck to everyone, it's a long haul but it can pay off!
    A Massive congratulations, this is amazing and you deserve it all! Be extremely proud of yourself! @Noodles

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen and Noodles

os111

Jan 22, 2023
    Kennedys is offering both training contract route and SQE training program (apprenticeship style) route this year. Does anyone know whether there are any major advantages/disadvantages to applying to either?
    I think the SQE trainjng program might just be in one department? Unsure how intense doing the SQE part time alongside full-time work would be. Also unsure on whether there’s any difference in salary for the two roles.

Any info anyone knows would be really appreciated!!

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    Just got an email from Slaughter and May saying that I was ineligible for a TC because I wasn't a finalist or graduate. I then told them that I am a graduate, and they said they wouldn't withdraw my application. It's a funny old world. I am re-applying to the firm after getting a TC interview in 2019, FWIW.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks!

& removal of all pronouns I'm guessing?

My current CV reads like this 'Produced annual accounts/tax returns, ensuring attention to detail and accuracy in reporting', are short and snappy task descriptions like this enough? Obviously, there are multiple for each role.
    It’s not necessarily pronouns that are the issue - you just can avoid “I”, “me” and “my” in writing.

But yes, the above format is appropriate.

Reactions: sxw517

AlexJ

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    Hello @Jessica Booker , in an application, is name dropping the name of a trainee better than writing "upon talking to various trainees on LinkedIn, I learned that..."

Thanks in advance.
    Not Jessica, but my general advice is will they remember you? If its a quick message maybe not but if you arranged a call then its probably okay to include if you want, although I would generally get consent first.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker , in an application, is name dropping the name of a trainee better than writing "upon talking to various trainees on LinkedIn, I learned that..."

Thanks in advance.
    It depends on the context here - have you learnt from multiple trainees (if so you can go with the latter)? or if it is just off the basis of one trainee, then naming them is okay.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.