Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can we put down mitigating circumstances even if we haven't reported them officially to the university? I have never mentioned this on my applications because I didn't have it on my academic record, but I gave myself a second-degree burn before my final exam for a module and was sent by 111 to urgent care immediately after. I couldn't get a doctor's statement to make a claim in time, but I think it affected at least one of my exams.
Be mindful you may need to provide medical evidence if your university was not aware.

Reactions: axelbeugre

sibs23

Legendary Member
Jan 15, 2021
Just wondering whether anyone's in a similar position to me and still waiting to hear from CMS post-WG? I haven't even heard about VI yet but I emailed grad rec to ask and they just said they had lots of applications to get through (but not a rejection)?
Hi, if it's any reassurance I didn't get my CMS VI until the 9th of Jan last year

• 🤝
Reactions: futurelegallyblonde

abdskurts1

Jan 3, 2024
Hello everyone,

I have a question with regards to ACs. I'm waiting to hear back from a few firms post-VI about ACs, however as I'm taking the SQE1 in 2 weeks, I'm a little worried that if I get an AC it will be the week before/week of the assessment. I am wondering if anybody has faced a similar situation, and if is anything I can do (such as informing the firm that I'm doing the SQE and asking to do the AC at a later date)?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: axelbeugre

saqlain09

• Dec 18, 2023
    Has anyone received PFOs for CMS post-VI for London TC? (not including the people who received ACs yesterday)
    I've not heard back yet, still waiting. But it seems people are getting responses this week. So far I have only seen people from London and Bristol mention they got a PFO or an invite, so they must still be going through them. I applied to the Sheffield office and have not seen anyone post that they got an invite or a PFO. If anyone has applied to Sheffield/anywhere but Bristol and London, please let us know if you've heard back! :)

Reactions: S2L24

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    I reached W&C's AC stage last year and have decided to reapply to the firm after receiving encouragement on my feedback call to do so.

However, when I've checked the firm's website in regards to reapplying, it states:

If you are unsuccessful, we ask you to wait one recruitment year before reapplying to us.

I can't find the definition of one recruitment year anywhere, but given I applied for the 2023 SVS, would this make me ineligible for this one as it's the following recruitment year? Could you clarify please @Jessica Booker?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    should we be capitalising the first letters of Training Contract and Vacation Scheme in our apps? Similarly, what about positions, for example Senior Associate Jane Doe?
    Capitalisation is only needed if it is in a heading like a job title in a work experience entry:

Summer Vacation Scheme - Joe Bloggs LLP (July 2023)

But not if you are writing it generally like:

As a vacation scheme student at Joe Bloggs LLP, I learnt more about the firm’s work in the finance sector.

Similarly for job titles:

After speaking with Joanna Bloggs, a trainee at the firm, at the law fair.

This article is really good about when to capitalise job titles:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I reached W&C's AC stage last year and have decided to reapply to the firm after receiving encouragement on my feedback call to do so.

However, when I've checked the firm's website in regards to reapplying, it states:

If you are unsuccessful, we ask you to wait one recruitment year before reapplying to us.

I can't find the definition of one recruitment year anywhere, but given I applied for the 2023 SVS, would this make me ineligible for this one as it's the following recruitment year? Could you clarify please @Jessica Booker?
    I would take it that they are recruiting for a different intake - eg if last year the vacancy was for 2026 and for this year it is 2027, that is fine.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.