TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
Does anyone know if you can reapply to Linklaters after failing an AC with them? I submitted a direct TC application but I received an on hold email, saying it's because of my answers to the eligibility questions

Reactions: axelbeugre

IwantaVacSchemePlz

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 17, 2023
I received a rejection for the Slaughters direct TC app last week but see there's still a Winter Workshop application... However it also mentions on the FAQ that they can only accept one application at a time. Given that my TC app was rejected and is now closed, does anyone know if they'd be able to consider a Winter Workshop app since technically I don't have any outstanding apps to them?

Kinda feeling dejected considering I have a lot of professional ties to the firm but can't seem to get past HR...
I don't think you can apply to both in the same season, unfortunately.

Zaidoz10

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2022
@Jessica Booker the Simmons and Simmons application only has one question and it says “Please give details of your interests and activities, positions of responsibility, skills and achievements. Please also include any other information relevant to your application. (250 words max)*”. Would you advise me to simply list a bunch of extra curriculars, interests, achievements and positions of responsibility but not elaborating too much on each? Or should I choose perhaps 2-3 and elaborate more on them? It’s only 250 words so I’m not sure which path to take.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker the Simmons and Simmons application only has one question and it says “Please give details of your interests and activities, positions of responsibility, skills and achievements. Please also include any other information relevant to your application. (250 words max)*”. Would you advise me to simply list a bunch of extra curriculars, interests, achievements and positions of responsibility but not elaborating too much on each? Or should I choose perhaps 2-3 and elaborate more on them? It’s only 250 words so I’m not sure which path to take.
I think it actually needs to be a compromise and in between these two elements. You may want to be selective in what you include, but I wouldn’t just list out everything as there needs some context as to what you did/what was your impact for anything you do include.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I received a rejection for the Slaughters direct TC app last week but see there's still a Winter Workshop application... However it also mentions on the FAQ that they can only accept one application at a time. Given that my TC app was rejected and is now closed, does anyone know if they'd be able to consider a Winter Workshop app since technically I don't have any outstanding apps to them?

Kinda feeling dejected considering I have a lot of professional ties to the firm but can't seem to get past HR...
I am sorry for the rejection but I do not think you can still apply to the Winter Workshop. It might be worth chasing HR and ask them directly just to be sure. I understand the frustration of not being able to pass the application stage at a firm you really want. What I would suggest is to ask HR if they can give you some sort of feedback as to why your application specifically was not accepted and if there are ways you can improve, stressing how S&M is one of your top firms. They might like the commitment and the dedication and you might be better off for the next cycle of direct tc. Good luck with the application cycle and always keep your head held high! Rejection is always redirection! @17natb

Reactions: 17natb

tashaj

Jul 4, 2023

Hey does anyone know if McDermott Will & Emery are accepting training contract applications this year? The application portal is open and it states the deadline of 31 October 2023, however I cannot find any details regarding the training contract/seats etc or anything confirming they are accepting applications. Thanks!​

17natb

Oct 3, 2023
I am sorry for the rejection but I do not think you can still apply to the Winter Workshop. It might be worth chasing HR and ask them directly just to be sure. I understand the frustration of not being able to pass the application stage at a firm you really want. What I would suggest is to ask HR if they can give you some sort of feedback as to why your application specifically was not accepted and if there are ways you can improve, stressing how S&M is one of your top firms. They might like the commitment and the dedication and you might be better off for the next cycle of direct tc. Good luck with the application cycle and always keep your head held high! Rejection is always redirection! @17natb
Thank you for the warm message! I definitely will reach out to HR to confirm.

Since it was at the application stage, do you think they’d provide any feedback even though they wouldn’t normally? Genuinely wondering what they would say as a SM associate reviewed my letter prior to submission and I had an HR rep confirm already what should be included in the letter for my specific situation.

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Thank you for the warm message! I definitely will reach out to HR to confirm.

Since it was at the application stage, do you think they’d provide any feedback even though they wouldn’t normally? Genuinely wondering what they would say as a SM associate reviewed my letter prior to submission and I had an HR rep confirm already what should be included in the letter for my specific situation.
I think it is worth trying to email them and see what they say, you will not lose anything, but you might gain something. I hope that helps! @17natb

Louise59

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Feb 13, 2023

Hey does anyone know if McDermott Will & Emery are accepting training contract applications this year? The application portal is open and it states the deadline of 31 October 2023, however I cannot find any details regarding the training contract/seats etc or anything confirming they are accepting applications. Thanks!​

It's open

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.