TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

O

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 27, 2019
Does anyone have any insight on CC VI? They mentioned in one of their YouTube videos that it’s a total of three questions and we “should” know 2 of those in advance but they didn’t elaborate anymore in the video. I tried asking during one of their virtual events but the grad rec was new and didn’t know.

Reactions: flower

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Does anyone have any insight on CC VI? They mentioned in one of their YouTube videos that it’s a total of three questions and we “should” know 2 of those in advance but they didn’t elaborate anymore in the video. I tried asking during one of their virtual events but the grad rec was new and didn’t know.
did you get the VI?

Reactions: O

LB24

Esteemed Member
Sep 26, 2023
Does anyone know if you can apply to more than one office for Kennedys TC? On the application form it lets me apply for both Manchester and London but don’t know if this is actually the case

Wazflame

Sep 11, 2022
This probably has a really obvious answer but I thought I'd ask in case I'm misreading things: when is the deadline for Latham & Watkins' training contract applications? The application website lists it as the 10th December but all the legal help websites (lawcareers, legal500, chambersstudent, etc.) list it as today (3rd December 2023).

I obviously know which one should take priority but I'm wondering why they're all saying a week earlier? Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This probably has a really obvious answer but I thought I'd ask in case I'm misreading things: when is the deadline for Latham & Watkins' training contract applications? The application website lists it as the 10th December but all the legal help websites (lawcareers, legal500, chambersstudent, etc.) list it as today (3rd December 2023).

I obviously know which one should take priority but I'm wondering why they're all saying a week earlier? Thanks!
It might be that the 3rd was given at the start of the recruitment cycle when all the publications coordinate getting deadlines from firms, and then the firm has changed it but hasn’t updated the publications/legal websites.

Samridhi Jain

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 18, 2022
I got an A&O rejection earlier today - but my portal suggests it was confirmed on 29 November ( checked yesterday and it was still in progress so I guess it took some time to update).

I think I did ok in the tests ( my report seemed positive) but sure I messed up the VI.

Applied 17 Nov, received the feedback/next steps email on 21 Nov.
sorry to hear that. Good luck with your other applications! It can feel terrible to start the process all over again. I saw a story posted by TCLA on their Instagram yesterday - it was really encouraging :)

Also, I'm curious as to why you think you messed up the VI? Any particular reason?

• 🤝
Reactions: AB
D

Deleted member 24543

Hi @Jessica Booker! I need some advice regarding this question on an application form "Please use this space for additional information about your undergraduate degree."

It's right under a section which asks if our degree is a qualifying law degree. If I'm just doing the conventional 3-year LLB route in a Russel Group uni, must I explain my degree any further?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey guys I have a question!

For Goodwin, I notice they have a healthy direct route process and it has the same deadline as the vac scheme. Since I have some legal experience, would you suggest that I try to go down the direct route?
As a future trainee at the firm I can say that this year they basically offered majority of offers to the Spring scheme cohort. So I would definitely recommend to apply to that one specifically. This might change from year to year though, since last cycle was the first time they had a Spring scheme. But I would keep this statistic in mind. However, they do recruit people from direct training contract route, however, as other firms, the odds are more against the applicants since they recruit fewer people.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker! I need some advice regarding this question on an application form "Please use this space for additional information about your undergraduate degree."

It's right under a section which asks if our degree is a qualifying law degree. If I'm just doing the conventional 3-year LLB route in a Russel Group uni, must I explain my degree any further?
I do not think there is much you have to explain then. This space is usually useful for people like me, who are/were international students or undertook an undergraduate course in a university outside the UK. So, if I were you, I would not worry too much!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Do they have online tests or some other stages apart from app and ac?
They do not, they only have an application stage, and then you get invited for an interview, and if you are successful, you obtain the vacation scheme offer (this is for the vacation scheme), this was the process I went through last year at least. For direct training contract, you get invited for an assessment day/interview in person and after you hear back about the outcome (I believe this is the process but do not quote me on that, they might have changed it)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

No - there is no need to describe it further if it’s a standard three year LLB and you have put your years to-and-from and your degree title.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.